Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1999 ML320 Stereo/Speaker Upgrade Question

8K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Schuters 
#1 ·
I have a stock very-low-end factory sound system. Cassette/AM/FM only. Want to upgrade. Is there anything that will just plug-in that MB makes or should I go another route. Also, how do I get the door panels off in the front and back to change the speakers...any tips...thanks! Mark

#2 ·
Here's one made for Mercedes-Benz which plugs right in. The door panels can be pried off by carefully inserting a plastic wegde into the slot between the paneling and door.

Another option with similar looks is the TrafficPro from Crutchfield, currently on sale for around $400 or so. Crutchfield includes free harnesses, instructions and tech support for installation into the 99 M-Class. I saw this one factory installed in in Porsches, Ferraris, Aston Martins and their ilk at a recent Concours d'Elegance...

Ford also factory installs the TrafficPro, in Ford Green, and a more advanced version, the TrafficPro II. One can insert the CD directly without having to open the front like in the others. It's probably plug compatible.

#3 ·
MarkR - 7/30/2004 8:45 PM
Want to upgrade.
Can you be more specific? [8D][;)]

The ML offers lots of upgrade paths. Do you want NAV? There's a pub here that shows you how to retrofit an '01+ MCS with DVD NAV in your truck ...

But its gonna run way more than the $400 option Wolfang gave you.

Lots of speaker options, too!

BTW, Drew's Sail Panel Pub here ...

<a href="http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=82" target=new>Click Here!</a>

has excellent instructions for door panel removal.

#4 ·
I had some questions about my post here ...

How much would one cost to put in like yours?
Seems like the DVD NAV drive and map were around $1,300 or so. Patient buyers for an MCS will pay $500 and up. The other stuff for NAV (CANBUS adapter, gerate harness, antenna, etc.) will be $300 and up. My speaker setup, including Dynamat, was around $1000.

How difficult?
Using Benza's pub and a 2000 MCS, the retrofit is definitely a DIY! Getting an '01 MCS and having to deal with the harness repair (refer to the link in my sig) made my project more difficult. The speakers and dynamat were professionally installed.

Any site you can pass along for pricing or installation?
Installation is completely and expertly covered in Benza's pub ...

<a href="http://www.benzworld.org/publications/pub.asp?id=119" target=new>Click Here!</a>

Good Luck! Whatever you do, come back and post pictures!! [;)]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.