jmh
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
How To Release Drive Belt Tensioner?

I'm in the process of replacing my a/c clutch; anyone know the trick to releasing the belt tensioner to remove/replace the drive belt?

Thanks.

Jeff

01 ML320 76k
95 E300D 161k SOLD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 06-11-2004, 09:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 98 ML320
RE: How To Release Drive Belt Tensioner?

I have a 98 ML320 and had to replace my Belt Tensioner Pulley. The old one rattled mainly when I used the AC. The old version Belt Tensioner Pulley has a reverse Torq bolt. You will need a reverse Torq driver and ratchet the Tension Pulley enough to place a pin (nail or metal type pin) into the Tensioner Pulley. This will keep the Pulley in the Caged Position and the belt will be loose. The Newer Belt Tensioner Pulley has a permanent nut shape on the Pulley so you can use a regular socket (not sure about the size - maybe 1/2 inch) and then ratchet the Pulley to Line-Up the "Cage Hole" position, then slide a pin into the hole to maintain a cage position. Put the belt on, the ratchet pulley enough to remove the pin out of the "Cage Hole" position. I removed my fan assy to get better access and I was replacing the whole Tension Pulley. I took some pictures and still have the old one if you want me to send then? Get an inspection mirror and some light - should make sense once you see the pin hole and the nut or Reverse Torq which is your leverage source to align the holes. Things are tight with two hands but should be able to complete it by feel. Hope this info helps.[:o)]
#3 (permalink) Old 06-12-2004, 11:32 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2002
Vehicle: 99 ML430

Good post !

How much was the tensioner/pully assembly ?.
I want to change it out when I change the belt.

#4 (permalink) Old 06-14-2004, 07:01 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 98 ML320

Think the part cost ~$120-$200 but not for sure.

The part number is: A 112 200 09 70

I'll try to put a photo attachment of the new part which comes in the Caged Position - Pinned! I think the Tension Roller needs to be Pinned (Caged) in secure or remove the three bolts.

[:o)]Martin
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 29_1246888_6142004100220AM.jpg (25.8 KB, 561 views)
#5 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 01:22 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2008
Thumbs up ML320 Alternator

Can anyone please tell me how to remove the alternator.
I removed two bolt but unable to remove it. DO i have to remove or release belt tensioner?
Please. Thank you for the help.
Regards,
Phung
#6 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 02 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Of course you do. Either remove it or take the tension off. Here are the instructions for both.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf R&I Alternator.pdf (477.2 KB, 289 views)
File Type: pdf R&I V Belt.pdf (505.9 KB, 417 views)
#7 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:41 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: ML320 (1999), A160 Elegance (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarJa View Post
I have a 98 ML320 and had to replace my Belt Tensioner Pulley. The old one rattled mainly when I used the AC. The old version Belt Tensioner Pulley has a reverse Torq bolt. You will need a reverse Torq driver and ratchet the Tension Pulley enough to place a pin (nail or metal type pin) into the Tensioner Pulley. This will keep the Pulley in the Caged Position and the belt will be loose. The Newer Belt Tensioner Pulley has a permanent nut shape on the Pulley so you can use a regular socket (not sure about the size - maybe 1/2 inch) and then ratchet the Pulley to Line-Up the "Cage Hole" position, then slide a pin into the hole to maintain a cage position. Put the belt on, the ratchet pulley enough to remove the pin out of the "Cage Hole" position. I removed my fan assy to get better access and I was replacing the whole Tension Pulley. I took some pictures and still have the old one if you want me to send then? Get an inspection mirror and some light - should make sense once you see the pin hole and the nut or Reverse Torq which is your leverage source to align the holes. Things are tight with two hands but should be able to complete it by feel. Hope this info helps.[)]
I have the old style tension pully with the torx head. When you say you have to ratchet the pully to get a pin into it I assume you mean the torx nut must be loosened and somehow I will have to push against the spring to move the tension pully until it exposes a hole into which I will have to insert a pin? Is this a correct interpretation?

I appreciate your help.
#8 (permalink) Old 09-02-2013, 02:57 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2008
Vehicle: 1999 ML320
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You do not undo the torx nut. It is just a way to lever the spring loaded tensioner so you can insert the pin. It it a little tight for space from the top. I found it best to do it from below and get someone to put the pin in or struggle by myself.
#9 (permalink) Old 09-03-2013, 01:57 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2009
Vehicle: ML320 (1999), A160 Elegance (2004)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megadamp View Post
You do not undo the torx nut. It is just a way to lever the spring loaded tensioner so you can insert the pin. It it a little tight for space from the top. I found it best to do it from below and get someone to put the pin in or struggle by myself.
Thanks. Yes I worked it out. It was in fact very easy. I did not have to remove the shroud or fan. I found that the space was more than enough to release the tension with one hand and with the other to shove a pin in the hole.

Belt came off easy and found that I will need to replace my idler pulley (slight noise when spinning). The tension pulley still was perfect with no noise or wobbles but spun freely and quietly (not bad for a 14 year old car). The new belt was a lot tighter and I found that I had to slip it over the smooth surface of the viscous fan clutch to get it on.
#10 (permalink) Old 09-20-2013, 03:26 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2013
Vehicle: 2001 Merecedes Benz ML55 AMG
I am about to this job on mine. Found the Tensioner on eBay for $48.48 and the idler for $14.65. The Bosch belt for $25.45. keep you all updated on how the work turns out.

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class