Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML350 sun/moon roof exploding

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  ed 
#1 ·
Purchased my ML350 about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday, as driving at 55mph along a state highway in pouring rain, the sun/moon roof suddenly exploded. There were no foreign objects, no explanation. The shade was open and my wife and I were covered with glass, along with the rain. Has anyone else had this experience? Will take to dealer tomorrow, but I don't think they'll ever get all the glass pieces cleaned out. Appreciate any comments. [?]

#2 ·
When I was a kid, my father was driving in between towns and suddenly the

When I was a kid (around 40 years ago), my father was driving in between towns, in a sunny day, and suddenly the windshield exploded all over us. We never knew what hit it..

I heard that in some countries they break into the cars by using a high voltage trick (a spark plug and something else) that causes the windows to just break into pieces. Maybe, if it was raining and lightning?, you got hit by a lightning leader instead of a direct lightning? Nothing will happen to you since you are inside a metal void and the voltage and current will just go around you but maybe the moonroof glass was not able to handle it.. but then why did the other windows did not suffer the same fate.. Were they maybe better insulated since they have different mounting mechanisms that the moonroof..?

Well just shooting some ideas since the moonroof is a pretty sturdy piece... Happy to hear that everybody was ok..!!

AC

#3 ·
photoclick - 2/15/2004 7:53 PM

Purchased my ML350 about 6 weeks ago. Yesterday, as driving at 55mph along a state highway in pouring rain, the sun/moon roof suddenly exploded. There were no foreign objects, no explanation. The shade was open and my wife and I were covered with glass, along with the rain. Has anyone else had this experience? Will take to dealer tomorrow, but I don't think they'll ever get all the glass pieces cleaned out. Appreciate any comments. [?]
photoclick,

Hey, I'm glad you made it over here. Welcome to Benzworld.

I'm sure you will get some interesting conversations started here with your question.

Let us know what your dealer says.

#4 ·
Wow.

That is bizarre.

Either the car would have to flex enough to break the glass, or something hit the glass hard in a tiny spot.

Micro-meteor?

Falling bullet that was fired skyward? (You might not find it)

Chip of "blue ice" from an airplane?

Hopefully nobody was hurt.

#5 ·
I dont know where you're at, but in a hot climate, when its nice and warm, your glass will get extremely hot as well (duh). If you hit a sudden thunderstorm while driving, the temperature change from the heat to the cold rain, maybe have somthing to do with it??? Or had you been driving in the rain for a long time?

Maybe a little help there. Is MB covering it under warrenty?

#6 ·
I would cry....

Glass tempered manufacturing defect![:(][:(]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.