Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Q. Is a black ML hard to keep looking good?

858 views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  N1ML 
#1 ·
Well… about half an hour ago the dealer delivered my new 04 ML350 Inspiration - and it's black. Looks awesome (will post pics after I mod her with all the old ML usuals).

The 03 ML350 Brilliant Silver (Gracie) is traded away and I wondering (since I never owned a black vehicle before), are there any tips you guys can give me to keep her looking her best.

#3 ·
jpturner - 2/14/2004 12:57 PM

Well… about half an hour ago the dealer delivered my new 04 ML350 Inspiration - and it's black. Looks awesome (will post pics after I mod her with all the old ML usuals).

The 03 ML350 Brilliant Silver (Gracie) is traded away and I wondering (since I never owned a black vehicle before), are there any tips you guys can give me to keep her looking her best.
I have a saying about black vehicles it is, "Once you go black, you'll never do it again." [:D]

My first brand new car back in 1986 was black, it looked great but it was a pain in the @ss to keep clean. Especially if you are the type to wash it all of the time. I have never bought another one.[:)]

#6 ·
Me too...

But I'd rather see them on the black paint than wait for one that cuts through the primer and starts to rust!

#7 ·
jpturner - 2/14/2004 1:57 PM

i clean mine once a week and when at home, i put her in my nice warm garage... i use to think the ML55 would look best in black.. but recently i've also come to like the ML55 in silver..

#8 ·
Here are some suggestions:

1. Have the Xpel or Stoneguard clear plastic bra applied (I think those are the brand names). All of those paint chips will really show up on a black vehicle.

2. Never go through a car wash with brushes. If you do, eventually you will see all of those scratches.

3. Hand wax your ML at least one a quarter. Don't use a machine.

4. Get some chrome wheels and finishing pieces, because it looks great against the black.

5. And finally, ENJOY! It may be a little extra work, but the dark colors look great.

#10 ·
The back looks great when clean. When it is dirty, as in our New England winters, it is a pain. On the other hand, our silver E Class looks only good all the time, clean or dirty. I guess the bottom line is, in my opinion, the black looks fantastic clean but the silver is OK.
Look at it this way, you have it for a while, and for sure you will be getting another vehicle and can get a different color or the same, your choice.
Mark[:D]

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.