Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2004 Carrera 4S
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to angldrkns9 Send a message via MSN to angldrkns9
(Thread Starter)
my trunk won't open!!

i need help! for some odd reason, i tried to open my trunk yesterday and the handle doesn't open! i tried the inside and outside one, neither of them want to open.. i think when i replace my rear chrome handle, something must of jumped or something.. anybody have any ideas on how to fix? is there a manual way to open the trunk without using the outside or inside handles? ah.. any advice would be great!

JASON
-----

2004 Porsche Carrera 4S
2003 Mercedes Benz S55 ///AMG
2000 Mercedes Benz ML55 ///AMG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:46 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Vehicle: Black 2005 ML 500
Yes, there is a long rod that bends at the top and that goes to the

Yes, there is a long rod that bends at the top and that goes to the handle mechanisms. It has popped out and you need to place it in correctly in order for the inside and outside handle mechanisms to work.

I just had to do this last weekend. Some time ago I had to change the hatch actuator which involved removing the rod and the handle mechanisms. I did not put it correctly and my daughter closed the door so hard that the rod that connects the handle mechanism to the lock at the edge of the hatch door popped out from the handle mechanism.

I had to crawl to the back of the ML through the back seats and with a philips screw driver remove the first philips screw that holds the internal hatch door handle trim. Once the screw is out, you need to remove the trim out by sliding it up since the handle trim has some plastic hooks that attach to the internal door handle mechanism.

Once the trim is out, you can raise the internal handle level and you will see another screw inside it. Once you remove it you can slowly push/slide up the internal handle mechanism (it has two plastic hooks in the bottom edge that attaches to the metal edge( and manipulate it so that you can take it out through the trim aperture.

Once you remove the internal door handle you can open the hatch door by lifting the metal rod with some pliers. By lifting it, you will be releasing the lock mechanisms at the edge of the hatch door and thus being able to open the door.

Once the hatch door is open, you can work a lot easier. You need to find the right place were the rod hook (shape of L) goes into the door mechanisms. There is a metal level with a hole which is where the rod L end fits. There should be a plastic tip that fits in the metal hole and serves to hold tight the rod L shaped hook. I lost the plastic piece after the second time it got loose, so I went ahead and secured it tightly with a piece of wire. I bent the end of the rod tip, shaped in L, at little more so that it hooks better into the lever hole and secured it with a thin piece of wire. This may not be the best way of doing it, but for me after loosing the plastic (this piece should not be a cheap piece of plastic!!!) adpator piece, I had to do something to make the rod stay in place on the metal level, so now I am sure it will never pop off.

Hope this helps..

AC

2005 ML 500
Black, 18" AMG Wheels, 285/60R18 Yokohama Geolander HTS + Bi-Xenons(+ Drew's e-code mod, though the reflectors rusted off and do not give out much light anymore), Yakima roof bars, Akebono pads all around. Former vehicle 2001 ML 320 with 108K miles, when traded, and a large repair/defect history. After all these years of owning my current 2005 ML 500, it is a major unreliable vehicle with a very large/expensive repair/defect history and has been like this since brand new.
#3 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 08:53 PM

Date registered: Jul 2002
Vehicle: '00 ML320 Elegance
Thank goodness you are here!....

Quote:
AC_ML - 1/25/2004 8:46 PM

Hope this helps..

AC
I think that I will go ahead and make this into a publication, just in case it happens in the future to someone else! [:)]
#4 (permalink) Old 01-25-2004, 09:02 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Vehicle: 2004 Carrera 4S
Send a message via AIM to angldrkns9 Send a message via MSN to angldrkns9
(Thread Starter)
RE: Yes, there is a long rod that bends at the top and that goes to the

Quote:
AC_ML - 1/25/2004 11:46 PM

Yes, there is a long rod that bends at the top and that goes to the handle mechanisms. It has popped out and you need to place it in correctly in order for the inside and outside handle mechanisms to work.

I just had to do this last weekend. Some time ago I had to change the hatch actuator which involved removing the rod and the handle mechanisms. I did not put it correctly and my daughter closed the door so hard that the rod that connects the handle mechanism to the lock at the edge of the hatch door popped out from the handle mechanism.

I had to crawl to the back of the ML through the back seats and with a philips screw driver remove the first philips screw that holds the internal hatch door handle trim. Once the screw is out, you need to remove the trim out by sliding it up since the handle trim has some plastic hooks that attach to the internal door handle mechanism.

Once the trim is out, you can raise the internal handle level and you will see another screw inside it. Once you remove it you can slowly push/slide up the internal handle mechanism (it has two plastic hooks in the bottom edge that attaches to the metal edge( and manipulate it so that you can take it out through the trim aperture.

Once you remove the internal door handle you can open the hatch door by lifting the metal rod with some pliers. By lifting it, you will be releasing the lock mechanisms at the edge of the hatch door and thus being able to open the door.

Once the hatch door is open, you can work a lot easier. You need to find the right place were the rod hook (shape of L) goes into the door mechanisms. There is a metal level with a hole which is where the rod L end fits. There should be a plastic tip that fits in the metal hole and serves to hold tight the rod L shaped hook. I lost the plastic piece after the second time it got loose, so I went ahead and secured it tightly with a piece of wire. I bent the end of the rod tip, shaped in L, at little more so that it hooks better into the lever hole and secured it with a thin piece of wire. This may not be the best way of doing it, but for me after loosing the plastic (this piece should not be a cheap piece of plastic!!!) adpator piece, I had to do something to make the rod stay in place on the metal level, so now I am sure it will never pop off.

Hope this helps..

AC
Thanks! You're a life saver! I'll try it once I get some free time

JASON
-----

2004 Porsche Carrera 4S
2003 Mercedes Benz S55 ///AMG
2000 Mercedes Benz ML55 ///AMG
#5 (permalink) Old 01-26-2004, 10:00 AM
ed
BenzWorld Veteran

Vehicle: ML 320 01'
RE: my trunk won't open!!

It happened to me too last month. Apparently it pops out quite easily for some reason. Quick fix though, 15-30 min.

2014 ML 350
2008 GL 450 airmatic, bi-xenon adaptive headlights, foglights with cornering light function, Parktronic , rearview camera , 10-way power front seats , auto-dimming and power folding mirrors, hands-free phone, rear audio controls, DVD navigation system, Sirius, 440-watt Harman Kardon , power tailgate open/close and cargo net. RES, 19" wheel, SS skid plates and roof bar. Keyless-GO. Illuminated Sills. Trailer hitch.
2008 R350 P01
2001 ML 320

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Vans/Trucks/SUV/Others > W163 M-Class