Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

How long does the man. Bulbs last?

669 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Drew 
#1 ·
my headlight bulbs blew up again 6 times in 3.5 years!!! i dunno about you guys are the manufacture bulbs really bad? or whats really going on? is it some sort of electric wiring problem.

i had 3 minor problems with my car jsut this past two weeks. its really getting annoying and frustrating. [:(!][:(!][:(!]
1.fuel indicators
2.breaklight wiring
3.front headlights bulb

is this a sign of age?? coz my ML is getting older approaching 4 years next year

#2 ·
That's probably because...

BOY-6 - 12/14/2003 2:17 AM

my headlight bulbs blew up again 6 times in 3.5 years!!! i dunno about you guys are the manufacture bulbs really bad? or whats really going on? is it some sort of electric wiring problem.
You have those whiter ones. What brand are they? The cheap ones are very prone to going out. It has nothing to do with the wiring.

is this a sign of age?? coz my ML is getting older approaching 4 years next year
Well, just normal wear and tear. Vehicles do break down and need to be maintained you know [;)] Oh and since your ML is a 1999 model, it would already be past 5 years old, even if you bought it later.

#5 ·
I think your ML has electrical wiring problems. That's the only logical explanation for the large number of electrical problems you are experiencing. Perhaps relays or wiring harness or ground short.

Before converting to xenon retrofit, I had OEM bulbs that NEVER went out. No one I know has had their OEM bulbs burn out at the frequency you mention.

Do you know if your ML was ever in a wreck or in a flood? Are you the original owner? If not, crashes or water damage that you weren't even aware of will cause such problems such as that.

I know people that have left their sunroof open on a rainy day. After a few days, the water evaporated, but caused such havoc with electrical problems that they sold the car, but 'forgot' to tell the new owner of this accident.

If you are seriously starting to get a lot of electrical problems, time to get a new car as electrical gremlins are near impossible to weed out.

I thought you were thinking about getting an Acura / Lexus / Audi / BMW / VW ? I've read quite a few posts where you ask us for new car opinions.

#6 ·
yeah im the original owner. of the vehicle. yeah but i have been noticing some vapors build up inside the HEadlights. not sure if its normal or not. coz i read some early treads that i was normal. should i get it check by the dealer? coz i had my old headlights remove and replace it with the newer headlights.

yeah im still thinking of a lot about purchasing a new vehicle dont know what exactly i want. i don't think i would be getting another benz, eventhough i love my ML a lot. but im still willing to give my ML a chance.

#7 ·
No...

BOY-6 - 12/16/2003 9:41 PM

yeah im the original owner. of the vehicle. yeah but i have been noticing some vapors build up inside the HEadlights. not sure if its normal or not. coz i read some early treads that i was normal. should i get it check by the dealer? coz i had my old headlights remove and replace it with the newer headlights.
What do you mean by "vapours"? Condensation?

Your headlamps were retrofitted and therefore would not be part of the warranty coverage.

#8 ·
Not a lot...

BOY-6 - 12/15/2003 6:32 PM

drew,

have u seen other MLs with blown headlights around vancouver, i seen alot. so maybe its a common problem? what do think do bulbs get blown every few months
I have seen the occasional ones around town, but by no means "a lot" of them.

It does partly have to do with the daytime running lights on the pre-'02 MLs. They turn on the low beams at full intensity, causing them to wear out a bit faster. The '02+ MLs run at partial intensity of course. No problems with the Xenons since they don't have any filament to burn out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.