Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Snow, first time ML experiences

1K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  mickey.1430 
#1 ·
OK so we have 6 inches of snow here in Oakville, Ontario.

- Great to be able to plough through the snow where previously I would have been stuck

- I had expected more traction (the giant wide wheels, more tyre surface in contact with the road), but slipping and sliding is at least as bad as in the E320, perhaps even worse. I guess the extra weight cancels the greater tyre surface.

- 4WD handy when slowly crawling up slippery surfaces, but above a few mph no use either way.

- Overall: scary as I fishtail all over as much as in teh E320, but safe feeling and better overall performance anyway, especially becuase the 6 inches are easy to take.

MW

#3 ·
Nokia - 12/14/2003 1:30 PM
Your wide wheels no good on the snow - use them summer time. I use Goodyear Fortela 255/65/16 - no problem run like a Bist.
Regards
I agree the Continental tires are sub optimal. Winter tires would be good, but alas, cannot afford them. If I did, though, which ones should I go for?

Michael

#4 ·
Dunlop WinterSport M2s, of course!

#8 ·
mickey.1430 - 12/14/2003 5:55 PM
The Continentals are the worst tires I have ever had.
They have virtually no winter stopping power!
In spite of what others have said here, I would have to agree. I do have the ML500 but every car I have ever had had better stopping/steering power. I am not complaining, and perhaps it is just becuase it;s heavy, but to say I am impressed with these Conti's would be untrue.

Snow and Mud rated perhaps, but any good in them, not so sure!

#9 ·
The equation is somthing like, weight + narrow tires = good traction. You always add weight to the trunk to get better traction in a rear wheel drive car, so that would lead to the conclusion that narrow tires on the ML with all of the weight would allow the vehicle to dig in and get a good bite in the snow. Consequently, the extra weight would add to the required stopping distance when it is slippery outside.

So an additional conclusion is that the wider tires plus all of the weight should not make the ML any more difficult to handle in the snow than a normal vehicle; however since we have all of the extra weight which adds to the momentum of the vehicle it becomes more difficult to stop or turn. If only I could remember the equations...

Andy

#10 ·
The problem is not enough siping compared to Michelins.

I have had OEM Dunlop GrandTreks and Contis, after market Yokohama Geolandars AT+ and Michelin LTX M/S.
For dry roads, the Dunlops were my favorite.
For wet roads, the Michelins.
For unpacked snow, the Yokos
For off road, the Yokos
For packed snow/ice, the Michelins
No experience with mud or sand.

Had Michelin Cross Terrains ordered for my '99 when I found the '02. I'll replace the Contis with these.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.