Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bi-Xenons the end of the Saga

992 views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  AndyFracica 
#1 ·
You all know that I installed the Bi-Xenons that I bought from AutoClass, but what you don't know was that saga of the broken assemblies that were damaged in shipment.

The first pair arrived the week before Thanksgiving. I was very excited to get them. When I opened up the first box the assembly appeared to been good. The story changed when I got to the second box; as I pulled the assembly from the box something seem to be amiss. It was then that I noticed that the both top mounting brackets and the mounting bracket towards the grille were totally and utterly destroyed.

Gaston at AutoClass went out of his way to get a replacement. He sent the replacement overnight and I received it the next day, however, it too was damaged. At this point Gaston said to go ahead and install it so I could get the dealer to turn on the bi-xenon setting in the AAM.

Gaston then proceeded to send another one, which he had to order and sent again overnight. Unfortunately it too was damaged. During this time I had been enjoying the Bi-Xenons but waiting to finish the install with the undamaged assembly.

It was during this wait that I noticed that the passenger side assembly had a crack in the top bracket. Gaston sent a pair of assemblies to me, again overnight. The passenger side came in perfectly and believe it or not the driver's side was again damaged.

It was begining to get laughable at this point. Gaston once again ordered another driverside assembly and packed it very carfully and sent it again overnight. That one finally made it in new and undamaged condition.

The saga continues...

Last night I removed both assemblies reconnected the grounds in the new assemblies and reinstalled both new assemblies.

You are not going to believe this but when I went to aim the headlights I could not get the new headlight assembly on the passenger side to come up high enough to aim properly. (I don't know why)

Sooo, I removed the new assembly got the original assembly with the crack in the top mounting bracket. I used some water-thin CA glue (Superglue)and dripped some into the crack and then used some activater to set the glue. Then I reinstalled that assembly. (I really didn't want to wait for another assembly, I just wanted this to be over.)

I now have two damaged assemblies boxed up and ready to go back to AutoClass. (two assemblies have previously been returned) Gaston sends a pickup tag and UPS comes and picks them up.

I have been silent on this because I didn't know the outcome but, I now want to go on record as saying that AutoClass has been absolutely classy to deal with. Gaston could have told me to file the claim and wait for the outcome before replacing the assemblies but he didn't. For a while I think I had more assemblies here than he did in his shop.

I have no reservations for buying from AutoClass and will order more stuff from this company. In my opinion AutoClass is a world class company.

Thanks Gaston.

Andy

See less See more
#2 ·
I know why...

You are not going to believe this but when I went to aim the headlights I could not get the new headlight assembly on the passenger side to come up high enough to aim properly. (I don't know why)
There is a ball joint socket in the lamp that is used by the autoleveling system. The autoleveling motor pushes this joint in and out, at the base of the lamp, in order to make minute adjustments in the beam height.

The balljoint could've jiggled free during shipping. When this happens, the projector assembly is only held by the upper sockets, not allowing you to adjust the lamp positioning properly.

Incidentally the new active cornering headlamps in the E-class work on the same concept, using two extra points left and right of the assembly. Thus they adjust the lamp projector side to side as necessary.

#3 ·
RE: I know why...

Drew - 12/13/2003 10:52 PM

There is a ball joint socket in the lamp that is used by the autoleveling system. The autoleveling motor pushes this joint in and out, at the base of the lamp, in order to make minute adjustments in the beam height.

The balljoint could've jiggled free during shipping. When this happens, the projector assembly is only held by the upper sockets, not allowing you to adjust the lamp positioning properly.

Incidentally the new active cornering headlamps in the E-class work on the same concept, using two extra points left and right of the assembly. Thus they adjust the lamp projector side to side as necessary.
Drew,

Is it possible to fix this ball joint socket?

Thanks,

Andy

#4 ·
Sorry to hear that. When I received my bi-xenons (which was delivered in my office) the first thing I did was to inspect for any broken parts and I was so fortunate to received an undamaged bi-xenons assembly.

#6 ·
Not surprised

Broken mounting tabs plagued Performance Products in the beginning too. They may have found a solution since I haven't heard any issues from them in a while. Of course, most of the active board members already have the BiX upgrade... Congrats on one of the most useful upgrades out there!

#7 ·
ike - 12/14/2003 2:37 AM

Sorry to hear that. When I received my bi-xenons (which was delivered in my office) the first thing I did was to inspect for any broken parts and I was so fortunate to received an undamaged bi-xenons assembly.
I was disappointed but Gaston has been a great help and has also gone out of his way to make things right.

Andy

#8 ·
RE: Depends...

Drew - 12/14/2003 4:13 AM

Is it possible to fix this ball joint socket?
If you're lucky, you should be able to open the high beam cover on the back and pop it back into place. That's what happened to the original set of my Bi-Xenons. No problem with them even after this long. The person who got them still has them and loves them [:)]
Thanks Drew,

I'll look into it and see if I can fix it.

Andy

#9 ·
RE: Not surprised

jdbower - 12/14/2003 8:29 AM

Broken mounting tabs plagued Performance Products in the beginning too. They may have found a solution since I haven't heard any issues from them in a while. Of course, most of the active board members already have the BiX upgrade... Congrats on one of the most useful upgrades out there!
Thanks Jeff,

The thing that prevented the damage was when I told Gaston to put cardboard around the brackets and tape them in place. That seemed to do the trick.

Now if I can get this other one fixed I'll put it back on.[:D]

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.