Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

MCS DVD NAV vrs. ALPINE DVD NAV

8K views 21 replies 6 participants last post by  tcp_ML500 
#1 ·
I just installed the new ALPINE DVD NAV in my H2. It has it's good points but the MCS DVD NAV in our ML's is still the best I have seen.

1) Screen quality is better on the MCS although the screen is bigger in the H2 (6.5 inches) [:D]

2) POI is larger on the Alpine (11,000,000.) [:D] but you need 2 DVD's to cover the Country and since there are so many POI you can only use the "Sort by Distance" feature within 30 miles of your current location. The MCS will sort any distance.

3) The accuracy is better with the MCS. It will tell and show you exactly when to turn. The Alpine tells you when to turn but if you miss your turn it takes a few seconds for it to realize you missed your turn before it re-calibrates. [xx(]

4) The Alpine will show you how many Satellites you are connecting with and the MCS DVD NAV won't. (so what) [^]

5) The Alpine will also do a simulated drive of your destination where you can see your car driving down the street along your route and the MCS doesn't
(this might be helpful, very rarely) [^]

6) The Alpine has a split screen. (OK)[:)]

7) You can map out a destination and then locate local POI from that location. (Very good!) [:D][:p][:D]

8) You can search for a location by using Latitude and Longitude. (could be useful for off-roading if it works like that, I'm not sure yet)

All in all it's defiantly a good system but I'm still partial to the MCS DVD NAV!
The major problem for me is sorting by destination.
30 MILES!!! WHAT'S THAT ALL ABOUT!!!
Alpine could have just limited the # of POI to 50 instead of limiting the range to 30 miles!
That bites!! [:(!][xx(][:(!]
Click here for more PICS:
http://ImageEvent.com/benza/alpinenavigation

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi Benza,
Congrats on the new ride and new Nav.
I guess you already knew the MCS is made by Alpine.
I have driven my sister's car - an Infiniti Q that has the '3d' effect for navigation.

What I have noticed is that for similar computing power, what Alpine did is to add more fancy graphics and 3d rendering in the newer versions of their NAV. This makes re-computing routes (re-routing) seem slower and less responsive. It is pretty annoying.

I do think the MCS re-routes faster in comparison, but has less of the fancy 3d graphics rendering it needs to deal with.

BUT, I have to say it is nice eye candy, but in practical real world situation I think the faster re-routing and route calculation is more useful than fancy 3d graphics.

Anyway it is FAR better than the portable Magellan or Garmin units which have NO vehicle speed sensor whatsoever so it takes FOREVER to realize when one is off course and FOREVER to re-compute.

The MCS NAV is very impressive especially because of the VSS input to correct for satellite signal.

#3 ·
Thanks!
I knew Alpine made the MCS DVD NAV and that's why I bought it. I just think Alpine should have used the heads a little more when making this unit. Don't get me wrong, it's a great unit but the little things should have been worked out before releasing it. I'm sure MB had there hands in the making of the MCS DVD NAV and that's why it turned out so nice!

#4 ·
Do the NAV systems have the ability to "pan out"? Say I'm in a small town - can I at least get a regional picture, with Hwy numbers, etc? Are all state hwys on it? I read one of them had nine levels of view?

I don't have the MCS/DVD, so, sorry for dumb questions. TIA!

#5 ·
Yes...

I can't remember exactly how many levels there are for the MCS DVD version, from memory I think there are at least six (if you really care I can go out and count):
200m,1km,4km,10km,25km,50km

This ranges from a really close zoom to the bulk of the country.

Most of the nav systems I've seen have this feature, with varying levels of zoom.

#6 ·
RE: Yes...

OK, thanks! When I saw tcp's NAV, he didn't know how to do that. [?]

Hey, tcp! RTFM! [:D]
Oops! I mean ... RTM! [;)]

Uh, tcp, I wuz jus playin' <a href="http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1124634&mid=1127969&fid=47#M1127969" target=new>here.</a> [:0] Actually, I thought it wuz <a href="http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1124619&mid=1127996&fid=29#M1127996" target=new>gettin'</a> kinda <a href="http://www.benzworld.org/forums/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=1124619&mid=1128026&fid=29#M1128026" target=new>interesting!</a>

[:0][8D][:D][:p][}:)]

#7 ·
I followed that thread closely before concluding to a waste of synaptic activity!

I don't understand why he would just jump on your case without serious provocation.

Regardless, I have yet to hear him laugh about my French, even though I typed too fast andmany typoes are in there that I could not fix after the 30 min post mark.

I think I'll ask Jeff to check his NAV about the zooming since he said he would, and since the garage is so cold, especially since I have yet to dress

#8 ·
Re: if you really care I can go out and count

Would you be so kind? While you're at it, could you post the instructions to the zooming function. My manuals have not been stolen at the dealership, but the garage is very cold this time of year. :)

Why would the dealership steal tcpgv's manuals, I don't get it. Then again, the techs must have needed it badly and they love him so much they wanted to make sure he would come back soon.

#9 ·
No problem...

tcp_ML500 - 12/13/2003 2:07 PM
especially since I have yet to dress
I have time now that I won't be eating anytime soon...[xx(]

#10 ·
OK, I braved the elements for the good of the largest number.

In the '02 MCS manual, it's on page 128 under "Altering the map scale" and it says:
"In map mode you can zoom the map in or out to increase or decrease map detail."

"Press [#ZOOM+] to zoom in"
"Press [*ZOOM-] to zoom out"

I assume that they are talking about the # and * keys on the number pad.

The picture of the screen displays a zoom popup on the bottom left of the screen and higlights the currently selected zoom level. It has 7 levels, the default being 1/8 mi which is the third level from the top.

I'll go play with it after I'm done telecommuting and am all dressed up!

#11 ·
Thanks Jeff! I just checked the manual, in shame of having asked you to suffer from my lazyness.

See my post below.

There is also another mode that you can zoom from, that's to pin point a destination.

That's when you chose "select a destination using the map", depressing the [ent] key will zoom in to allow you to select your destination precisely.

#12 ·
RE: Zoom buttons clearly labeled

tcp_ML500 - 12/13/2003 2:22 PM

The zoom buttons in an ML430 Year 2000 are clearly labeled. See photo. This version of the nav system is CD-ROM based.

#13 ·
RE: Zoom buttons clearly labeled

tcp_ML500 - 12/13/2003 2:22 PM

The zoom buttons in an ML430 Year 2000 are clearly labeled. See photo. This version of the nav system is CD-ROM based.

Attachments

#14 ·
#15 ·
MCS CD Nav does have a limitation, though

The CD Nav system is completely blank outside the coverage area of the CD - it would have been nice if they would have kept major interstates for the entire country on each CD. The price difference for the new DVD vs a used CD system is close to nothing so if an upgrade is on the horizon, I'd recommend the DVD system. I'm also concerned that they've EOL'd the CD software.

#16 ·
Nav System Wish List

Here's a wish list for future MB nav systems:

Benza - 12/12/2003 7:02 PM
It has it's good points but the MCS DVD NAV in our ML's is still the best I have seen.
1. Touch screen in addition to buttons will make operation easier.

POI is larger on the Alpine (11,000,000.)
2. More POI. My system only features a few Star Bucks cafés. Not all of them.

The accuracy is better with the MCS. It will tell and show you exactly when to turn.
3. Better accuracy. Sometimes my system shows me driving next to the road I'm on. I believe that it is not WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) capable. WAAS position accuracy is typically less than 3 meters.

The Alpine will show you how many Satellites you are connecting with and the MCS DVD NAV won't. (so what)
4. Should show you how many Satellites it's connected to. I'm interested in that type of information (being connected to 3 or less satellites will result in inaccurate position information)

The Alpine will also do a simulated drive of your destination where you can see your car driving down the street along your route.
5. Route simulation. I would like that feature.

6. Voice activation would be a dream feature. Just say: "Take me home" to the nav system and it will calculate a best route.

7. A selection of voices. A lady I spoke with says it's a sexist system. She prefers a deep masculine voice.

8. Current traffic situation overlay would be another dream feature. Would allow calculating a best route taking traffic jams and accidents into consideration.

9. Altitude information would be a cool feature so that I know when to use the oxygen mask.

10. Portability. It would be nice if I could easily move the system to any car.

#17 ·
Nav System Wish List

Here's a wish list for future MB nav systems:

Benza - 12/12/2003 7:02 PM
It has it's good points but the MCS DVD NAV in our ML's is still the best I have seen.
1. Touch screen in addition to buttons will make operation easier.

POI is larger on the Alpine (11,000,000.)

The accuracy is better with the MCS. It will tell and show you exactly when to turn.
3. Better accuracy. Sometimes my system shows me driving next to the road I'm on. I believe that it is not WAAS (Wide Area Augmentation System) capable. WAAS position accuracy is typically less than 3 meters.

The Alpine will show you how many Satellites you are connecting with and the MCS DVD NAV won't. (so what)
4. Should show you how many Satellites it's connected to. I'm interested in that type of information (being connected to 3 or less satellites will result in inaccurate position information)

The Alpine will also do a simulated drive of your destination where you can see your car driving down the street along your route.
5. Route simulation. I would like that feature.

6. Voice activation would be a dream feature. Just say: "Take me home" to the nav system and it will calculate a best route.

7. A selection of voices. A lady I spoke with says it's a sexist system. She prefers a deep masculine voice.

8. Current traffic situation overlay would be another dream feature. Would allow calculating a best route taking traffic jams and accidents into consideration.

9. Altitude information would be a cool feature so that I know when to use the oxygen mask.

10. Portability. It would be nice if I could easily move the system to any car.

#18 ·
Nav System Wish List

I've added a few new features to the wish list for future MB nav systems:

1. Touch screen. Will make operation easier. Should be in addition to buttons.

4. # of satellites it's connected to. It's important to know (being connected to 3 or less satellites will result in inaccurate position information)

5. Route simulation. It could be a useful feature when trying to get an idea of a complex route.

6. Voice activation. A dream feature. Just say: "Take me home" to the nav system and it will calculate a best route. Or say your destination address instead of having to type it.

7. Voices selection. I like the female voice. A lady I spoke with says it's a sexist system. She prefers a deep masculine voice.

8. Current traffic situation overlay. Another dream feature. Would allow calculating a best route taking traffic jams and accidents into consideration.

9. Altitude information. A cool feature that could automatically indicates when to use an oxygen mask due to high altitude.

10. Portability. It would be nice if the nav system could be moved to any car.

11. A PC based planning program. Route planning using PC software and address book should be exchangeable with the nav system using a flash card or a SD card.

12. A much faster processor. The current system takes to much time to calculate a route.

#19 ·
Wait a minute...

Constructive criticism following an honest attempt at diagnosing a problem? Who are you and what have you done to the real tcpgv? I like this one much better. [:D]

Some of these have been covered in the past:
tcpgv - 12/13/2003 5:12 PM
1. Touch screen. Will make operation easier. Should be in addition to buttons.
MB was apparently worried about the longevity of a touchscreen. Personally, the MCS is a computer and I would look more into creating a long lasting backend interface so I can swap it out with the MCS 2.0 when/if it comes out.

List all of the Starbucks with only a single DVD? Now you're really dreaming[:p]! I've found the POIs to be a little on the light side. It would also be nice to have more genres to choose from - it would be nice to find a specialty store such as a pet shop.

IIRC, WAAS only became possible a few years ago so you're probably right but I haven't noticed any problems like this. Did you experience this in a city or canyon where reception may not have been at its peak?

4. # of satellites it's connected to. It's important to know (being connected to 3 or less satellites will result in inaccurate position information)
They used to have this in the CD-based systems off one of the menus. I can't find it anymore in the DVD Nav - it's been replaced with a simple "lock/not locked" icon which could easily be augmented with a number in the middle.

5. Route simulation. It could be a useful feature when trying to get an idea of a complex route.
What do you mean by this? Something like clicking on the map and hitting a "play" button which would cause the pointer to travel at the estimated speed?

6. Voice activation. A dream feature. Just say: "Take me home" to the nav system and it will calculate a best route. Or say your destination address instead of having to type it.
This would be great even if it was like the voice system for the phone where you have to record the name of the destination before it can be used.

7. Voices selection. I like the female voice. A lady I spoke with says it's a sexist system. She prefers a deep masculine voice.
Kind of nifty. You could also throw in personalities. Some people may like it if the woman starts cursing at you in German if you miss the turn...

8. Current traffic situation overlay. Another dream feature. Would allow calculating a best route taking traffic jams and accidents into consideration.
They used to have a neat feature in Teleaid that was one step away from this, but stupid American lawyers made them stop because some moron was too busy checking the weather to notice a red light. Maybe we can get this again when InfoFueling gets rolled out:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,4149,441837,00.asp

9. Altitude information. A cool feature that could automatically indicates when to use an oxygen mask due to high altitude.
Early releases of the CD-based version had altitude information but they took it out in a software update. Rumor has it they did so because the measurement was inaccurate. I'd rather have an inaccurate one than none at all...

10. Portability. It would be nice if the nav system could be moved to any car.
This would require more of a standard docking station in every car - unless that's Bluetooth and a standard 12V outlet I think you're out of luck. Now a nifty gadget for a truck marketed like the Xterra would be to make the unit removable and hand-held so hikers can carry it with them.

11. A PC based planning program. Route planning using PC software and address book should be exchangeable with the nav system using a flash card or a SD card.
Or 802.11! This would be kind of neat, especially if the storage medium could hold enough data to include some updates.

12. A much faster processor. The current system takes to much time to calculate a route.
That's the problem with processor-based systems, these things take a while to design and by the time your done a faster processor is out. The MCS could be a lot worse, but it would also be a little better speedwise.

Here are some of mine:
Better cookie crumb support. The DVD nav will record an off-road route, but it would be nice if it could also record (and save!) a route that's either onroad, offroad, or a mixture of both.

I frequently don't take the most direct route. I'd love to be able to include vias in the route calculations. This of course walks us right into the ability to save routes.

I would also be great to be able to edit roads. Even if you could only turn roads off and make them one way it would be a great step. Changing the estimated speed on the road would be better. The ability to create new roads - even if they can only be straight lines - would be even better still. Ideally we could link this to your PC connectivity request and it could send Navtech a prompt to check its database.

A route playback mode would be neat. I'd love to be able to record where the truck goes if I'm ever forced to give the keys over to a valet service.

I also like some features that Delorme StreetAtlas USA has. For example local radio station information and next exit services.

Some way to disable that stupid splash screen!

#21 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.