Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Just drove loaner w/Bi-Xenon headlights, how do I install?

2K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  AndyFracica 
#1 · (Edited)
123 654 1236

#3 ·
Can I install them myself?
or
What will a delership normally charge for installation?
it's simple, try to search the forum or read the post below about the bi-xenon.[;)]

wait: how can I post an image..where is the browse button to add pictures[8)][:0][xx(]

#4 ·
Brett Slack - 12/11/2003 2:17 AM

Does Andy's (DYI Bi-Xenon) wiring procedure apply to my 1999 ML-430 wiring harness/connectors?
No, I don't believe it does. I think you can simply order the BiXenons and specify your model year. I got mine from Performance Products, and received their pigtail adapters. These adapters are necessary to connect the '99 harness to the BiX. The install is simple - just 3 screws on each light assembly. Also, I increased my two low-beam fuses from 7.5 amp to 20 amp.

After installation, I recommend having the dealer do the aiming. Afterwards, check their alignment using the comments and pictures on this forum.

As to Drew's "E-code Mod", that mod enables the Halogen "flash to pass" lights to come on simultaneously with the BiX high beam. Otherwise, high beam is BiX alone (which is plenty!).

Good Luck! Its gotta be the single best improvement there is for your ML!!

#5 ·
<font color='Green'>Brett Slack</font> - 12/11/2003 4:24 PM

UncAl,
after your installation of PP's lights and pigtail harnesses, besides the beam adjustment your dealer performed, was any computer programming required by them for your BiXenon highbeams to activate?
No. The computer setting change is only needed for model years where the BiX was an available factory option. I can't remember what MY that starts with ... maybe 2000? Anyone else know?

#6 ·
UncAl - 12/11/2003 4:29 PM

<font color='Green'>Brett Slack</font> - 12/11/2003 4:24 PM

UncAl,
after your installation of PP's lights and pigtail harnesses, besides the beam adjustment your dealer performed, was any computer programming required by them for your BiXenon highbeams to activate?
No. The computer setting change is only needed for model years where the BiX was an available factory option. I can't remember what MY that starts with ... maybe 2000? Anyone else know?
I think AAM setting change only applies to 02 and up. JimB has an 01 and didn't require computer setting when he upgraded his headlights to bi-xenons.

#7 ·
Just a note if upgrading

My Insurance carrier made note of the change from stock lights, so if I took a rock two days after, they'd be covered.

when asked if I had to call in the change, he acted as if I was an idiot until he asked me the retail value. Then he agreed a notation on the file was warranted.

#8 ·
RE: Just a note if upgrading

Ratso - 12/11/2003 9:51 PM

My Insurance carrier made note of the change from stock lights, so if I took a rock two days after, they'd be covered.

when asked if I had to call in the change, he acted as if I was an idiot until he asked me the retail value. Then he agreed a notation on the file was warranted.
Good point! I think I'll make a call to day.

Thanks,

Andy

#10 ·
#11 ·
gw17625410 - 12/12/2003 5:11 PM
UncAl, you stated that you upped your fuses from 7.5A to 20A. Is this necessary? what about the gauge of the wire can it handle 20A current?
Thanks
David
David, the wire guage is fine. When I installed mine, I was advised by other members here to increase the fuse amperage because the BiX draw a considerable amount of current when you turn them on. Since then, I've heard from other members who left the fuses alone with no problems.

So, don't worry about the wire. And, if you leave the fuses at 7.5 amps and it works, great! If they blow, increase to 15-20a.

#12 ·
gw17625410 - 12/12/2003 4:11 PM

1)How do I find out about this group buy, price?

Thanks
David
David,

Call AutoClass and speak to Gaston Rey 800-749-9832

Andy

#14 ·
From AutoClass on the group buy they were $1398 for the pair shipped. The list price from MB is about $1300 each, through my connections I was quoted a price of $1050 each so this is much better pricing and it is genuine MB parts.

Andy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.