Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Larger tires

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Benz4Dirt&Sky 
#1 ·
Hello.

What is the largest size of tire that can be fitted (w/o rubbing) on an ML320 with stock 16" rims and no suspension lift, other than torsion bar adjustment? I read the 4x4ABC page about LT265/75R16's. Can you fit LT285/75R16's?

#3 ·
http://www.whnet.com/4x4/ML320BFG.html

Best place to start your research.

#4 ·
I have Wolfgang's site, it is very informative.

The 33" inch BFGoodrich 285/75 R16 are also a good choice. A large payload sags the rear down somewhat which tends to restrict the tire size. That's when HD springs or lift kits (see below) come into play, to compensate for it. picture of 99 ML320 with 33" BFG ATs
So is he saying that you can fit 33's but they will rub with heavy loads?

LT265/75's should fit with no problems right?

#6 ·
Also remember...

By putting on larger than recommended diameter tires you'll be changing your speedometer readings. This will tell you how much you'll be off:
http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

I'm also guessing that these guys made the right assumption that you're interested in more ground clearance and off-road tires than with wider street tires.

#7 ·
I'm also guessing that these guys made the right assumption that you're interested in more ground clearance and off-road tires than with wider street tires.
That's correct. I've been running the OEM General's long enough and wanted to upgrade to some All-Terrains.

Thanks for the help.

BTW, I know the M-Class isn't designed to be a dedicated off-roader, like the G-Wagen, but a heavily modified ML would be interesting. I wonder if anyone has tried a major lift and some 35+" tires?

#8 ·
265/70 R17 All terrain T/As

Here is T-Rex with new tires only:

Old license plate blurred because everyone blurs them. Don't know why.

[:)]

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.