Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ML Nav stuff again

1K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Wolfgang 
#1 ·
Ok, now i'm getting ready to order all my stuff for the nav install. I'm doing this myself, and i think i can do it. However, I was at *, and under the adapters section, they have several cables, splitters and CAN adapters. My 2000 ML320 doesnt have the nav drive (DUH) and i need to know if all these wiring harnesses, cables and splitters are already in place? Or do i need to order them??

John

#2 ·
I don't have the part numbers, but here are the stuff you need to get it working on a 2000 ML.

A pair of radio keys (to remove MCS)
GPS antenna
NAV drive
NAV CD
1 Spliter/amplifier
1 cable goes from the NAV to spliter

After installation, you will need to have the dealer to version code your MCS to make your NAV "talk".

#3 ·
ML320ML - 12/10/2003 5:20 PM

I don't have the part numbers, but here are the stuff you need to get it working on a 2000 ML.

A pair of radio keys (to remove MCS)
GPS antenna
NAV drive
NAV CD
1 Spliter/amplifier
1 cable goes from the NAV to spliter

After installation, you will need to have the dealer to version code your MCS to make your NAV "talk".
i'm pretty sure that u don't have to version code the MCS for the navigation voice. mine didn't need any version coding. play with the settings first and see what u get.

hth.

#5 ·
j_dawg_85 - 12/10/2003 5:10 PM

Ok, now i'm getting ready to order all my stuff for the nav install. I'm doing this myself, and i think i can do it. However, I was at *, and under the adapters section, they have several cables, splitters and CAN adapters. My 2000 ML320 doesnt have the nav drive (DUH) and i need to know if all these wiring harnesses, cables and splitters are already in place? Or do i need to order them??

John
You need everything ML320ML said except there is no need to have the dealer version code it. 1998, 1999 and 2000 ML's don't require this.

#6 ·
Thank you so much guys! Thats exactly what i was looking for!

John

#7 ·
Portable navigation system

j_dawg_85 - 12/11/2003 4:56 PM
Thank you so much guys! Thats exactly what i was looking for!
Both Magellan and Garmin have some nice automotive nav systems that can be ported to any car. Some of them with touch screen. Check out the links below.

Magellan
http://www.magellangps.com/en/products/product.asp?PRODID=955

Garmin
http://www.garmin.com/products/sp2610_2650/index.jsp

#8 ·
I believe that on a 2000 ML, you don't need a splitter nor the extra cable. The splitter is just for Teleassist equipped MLs as they share the same antenna. Teleassist did not start until 2001. The NAV cable should already be in place behind the dashboard. Just make the connection.

Also, you will need to order a satellite antenna. Most 2000's dont have them installed. You will have to install this antenna on the roof of the ML and make the connection to the other end of the NAV cable.

#9 ·
Tim - 12/12/2003 12:42 PM

I believe that on a 2000 ML, you don't need a splitter nor the extra cable. The splitter is just for Teleassist equipped MLs as they share the same antenna. Teleassist did not start until 2001. The NAV cable should already be in place behind the dashboard. Just make the connection.
Actually, you do need a splitter and the extra cable. The splitter also acts as a signal booster.

#10 ·
Actually I don't believe that is exactly correct. On 2001 and later MLs, there is a splitter AND a signal booster. The splitter is connected after the signal booster to direct one cable to the MCS and the other to the Teleassist. Obviously this isn't needed on non-Teleassist ML's such as the 2000.

Now in past discussions of NAV installs in MY 2000 ML's the amplifier was already installed and one only needs to connect the NAV/MCS on one side and the Sat Antenna on the other side.

#11 ·
Tim and Benza, you are both correct, just talking about different parts. There is one box, called splitter/amplifier which one needs in MY2000, and another called "antenna switch" which is actually an HF relay, and looks like a splitter to connect the antenna coax to the TeleAid system under the passenger seat. Here's an approximate schematic for the different ML years on this page:

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/phones.html

Much better diagrams are also available online (install WHIP first, to pan and zoom):

http://www.startekinfo.com

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.