Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Want to add G - Rear Tire Carrier and Steering wheel to ML

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  Wolfgang 
#1 ·
Saw a picture a while back of a Asian owners ML with a G Rear Tire carrier. Also would like to have the G steering wheel with radio controls etc.

Is it possible?

Does anyone have any links?

Ideas?

#2 ·
pjturner - 12/5/2003 1:12 PM
Saw a picture a while back of a Asian owners ML with a G Rear Tire carrier. Also would like to have the G steering wheel with radio controls etc.
David Hess in Bakersfield has this one: http://www.sparetirecarrier.com/pictures.htm

One can install a multi-function steering wheel in the ML, but it's not that easy, and doesn't work with the MCS, so you would need to change to a COMAND. You will also have to change the instrument cluster. It might be easier to trade for a G or W164 instead.

#3 ·
"that's only for decorations, that's all and that's it for decorations."

#5 ·
Wolfgang - 12/5/2003 3:31 PM

One can install a multi-function steering wheel in the ML, but it's not that easy, and doesn't work with the MCS, so you would need to change to a COMAND. You will also have to change the instrument cluster.
So... When is the publication due? [8D]

The single most important missing feature from the ML is the multi-function steering wheel.

cheers,
Bram

#6 ·
bkerkhof - 12/6/2003 3:12 AM
So... When is the publication due? [8D]

The single most important missing feature from the ML is the multi-function steering wheel.
Bram, Brabus in Bottrop can do it for you. They are a bit pricey at around EU5000, but may have come down since. Or there is a MB mechanic, Chris in Nürnberg, who can do it for much less, using used parts.

What needs to be done is to install a COMAND with CAN from the W210 since the W163 COMAND doesn't have a CAN, install the instrument cluster from the W210, install the multi-function steering wheel from the W203. Then tie the steering wheel in via CAN-bus over a TV adapter into the COMAND. Once you are this far, TV and Linguatronic are further options.

Not sure how many in the US have done it yet, since one needs access to MB SDS to make it work.

[:D]

#7 ·
Wolfgang - 12/6/2003 12:29 PM
What needs to be done is to install a COMAND with CAN from the W210 since the W163 COMAND doesn't have a CAN, install the instrument cluster from the W210, install the multi-function steering wheel from the W203. Then tie the steering wheel in via CAN-bus over a TV adapter into the COMAND. Once you are this far, TV and Linguatronic are further options.
That means I'd better wait for my warranty to pass. [}:)]
I don't think I'd want to know how my dealership is going to handle these kind of mods...

I don't think they are able to use a DVD-based command for this upgrade (since it is the same comand 2.0 unit)?

cheers,
Bram

#8 ·
bkerkhof - 12/9/2003 3:11 AM
That means I'd better wait for my warranty to pass. [}:)]
I don't think I'd want to know how my dealership is going to handle these kind of mods...

I don't think they are able to use a DVD-based command for this upgrade (since it is the same comand 2.0 unit)?

cheers,
Bram
Bram, maybe the COMAND remote can be integrated with your steering wheel somehow. That shouldn't affect the warranty.. [:D]

#10 ·
You will also need to upgrade your rear springs to the 270CDI springs in order to accomidate the extra weight of the full size spare being hung so far back on the truck.

There is also wiring involved for the 3rd brake light that is included with the kit.

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_M4.html

#11 ·
Wolfgang - 12/9/2003 1:38 PM
Bram, maybe the COMAND remote can be integrated with your steering wheel somehow. That shouldn't affect the warranty.. [:D]
Best thing is: I actually have the remote [:p]... Probably the most useless option I've ever got for a car...

Still tempted for the MF-steering wheel thingie... Once my warranty expires, I'll have the choice of getting a new set of wheels or do some heavy modding on this one... (which I like a lot, save for the creaks).

EUR 5.000 is too much, but I may be tempted to do it with second-hand parts, especially if I can recoup part of the costs by selling the old COMAND and instrument cluster. I do have some worries (ML-specific indicator lights, mileage counter programming, Nokia handsfreekit, CD-changer); but the added (personal) value would be huge.

My wife and my SA are going to kill me, though [;)].

cheers,
Bram

#12 ·
bkerkhof - 12/10/2003 5:41 AM
Still tempted for the MF-steering wheel thingie... Once my warranty expires, I'll have the choice of getting a new set of wheels or do some heavy modding on this one... (which I like a lot, save for the creaks).

EUR 5.000 is too much, but I may be tempted to do it with second-hand parts, especially if I can recoup part of the costs by selling the old COMAND and instrument cluster. I do have some worries (ML-specific indicator lights, mileage counter programming, Nokia handsfreekit, CD-changer); but the added (personal) value would be huge.

My wife and my SA are going to kill me, though [;)].

cheers,
Bram
Bram, here is the contact info for Chris is Nürnberg. He's the electronics guru at the MB dealer there, and has installed multi function steering wheels in W163 before. Send him an email with questions if interested.

http://groups.msn.com/MercedesInstalls

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.