Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

s600 w140 rims

9K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  Jayare 
#1 ·
Hey guys, Looking for a good set of rims for my s600 1997 black. I love the monoblock. any insight into there to get a good par if rims? I was thinking trying to get 18's. Michelein tires. any feedback, would be greatly appreciated.

#7 ·
Monoblocks are lovely on the w140,202, and 210. With that said w220 monos fit spot on i actually swapped my grand edition monos for w220 monos until they are back from refurbishment. On my original 97 s500 the original owner spend a ton of money on w220 monoblocks from the dealer. Let me give you a warning about 18" and 17" monoblocks make sure to test your lug bolt buying the wheels because w210 monoblocks will not fit the w140 without getting the holes bored out and they sit really flush to the fender. The overal best looking monoblocks are the 19" staggered but the ride is extremely rough compared to 16-18". The grip the staggered wheels give is amazing. On my grand edition i went from square setup to staggered and the grip is amazing.

#12 ·
I don't want to have any offsets. I will go with just the 17's.

Oh boy. Time for school.

Every wheel has an offset specification. W140 cars have relatively high offsets from the factory and probably require a high offset wheel. I believe the offset is normally about a 52mm offset. I think the AMG 18" aero wheels for the w140 are about et44.

#11 ·
I was going to suggest the 17" CLK wheels 7.5 et37 and 8.5 et30 I'm trying to get rid of, but then remembered that they use 12x1.5 instead of 14x1.5.

I have some 18" double-spoke AMG wheels for a 2004-2007 e-class and one from a ~2002 S-class that I was considering trying to put on my w140 for kicks. This style:

I'm trying to get my focus back to the oldies and want out of all the 1993+ stuff.

#21 ·
#24 ·
My take-18's do affect the impact harshness of the suspension a bit, but eliminate almost all of the "rubber band" feeling that the 16's with higher sidewalls can leave the car with. Finding very high performance tires with 60 series aspect is darn near impossible, so 18's and DSW's are sort of a sweet spot. The handling improvement is worth the ride tradeoff. If I did nothing but highway driving I might feel differently, might even stick with 16's, but I'm on two lanes enough that I prefer the 18's.

Speaking of which, I have a set of chrome 16's sitting here with old but low mile primacy's on them that are free to anyone here that wants them and will pick them up. 3 are vg to excellent, one has peeling chrome but no corrosion.

#25 ·
My take-18's do affect the impact harshness of the suspension a bit, but eliminate almost all of the "rubber band" feeling that the 16's with higher sidewalls can leave the car with.
"Rubber band", AFAIK, refers to the super skinny tires mounted on super large rims, aspect ratio 25 or below. Did you mean to say anything about the cornering?

Speaking of which, I have a set of chrome 16's sitting here with old but low mile primacy's on them that are free to anyone here that wants them and will pick them up. 3 are vg to excellent, one has peeling chrome but no corrosion.
I am interested (if nobody else takes them before me)

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.