Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Running hot?

597 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  anziani 
#1 ·
In just normal running around town today I noticed my temp gauge right at 120. Typical day running quick errands. Was no warmer than 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside. My coolant reservoir is full however it does look like there is a leak directly under the power steering pump

Thoughts ?

#2 ·
the leak under the power steering pump is most probably due to bad hose (line). you must first clean the area and then observe where exactly the leak is.

very close to 120 is fine in theory ...everything below 120 is ok (for heavy uphills in the middle of the hot summer, etc.). But most probably you have a serious problem with radiator or/and viscous fan clutch or/and thermostat and/or coolant reservoir cap. BTW, coolant must be replaced every 4 years because with age it looses its ability to accept heat from the engine.

#3 ·
....right at 120C ? Something is seriously wrong. I've owned 2 cars with 119 engines and they rarely went over 90C. And I live where the summers are in the 120F range. I can idle my Cl600 for 20 minutes with full AC in 115F ambient air and barely crack 90.
If it were my car I would have someone do a temp scan of the radiator from top to bottom and see the results. Should be uniform. I would plan on a new radiator, thermostat, all new hoses, and a new overflow tank. Do you have an original water pump? Maybe the vanes have worn down. I use 1 gallon of MB coolant and the balance with distilled water but then it never gets below 30F here.
Anziani

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.