Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Sourcing W140 Parts - Too late to buy?

3K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  Motaw 
#1 ·
Hey,

So, I'm starting to look into getting a later model W140 and I'm just curious about the availability of parts for these. I've previously had a 95 Acura Legend and a 96 LS400 and it was still fairly easy to get the parts needed on those two and before I went too far down the rabbit hole, I thought I'd ask about this issue for these cars.

Also, to those who have purchased in the last 24-48 months - How did you find your car and what methods would you recommend on finding one?

Thanks.

#2 ·
Hello Motaw,
I bought my 92 600SEL about 3 years ago on Craigslist in the Chicago area. If I were you I would get one built 1995 or later. Why? Because after this, the cars no longer were built with crappy biodegradable wiring. As far as parts go, it depends on what engine size you're looking to get. The smaller engine cars were more common, and the parts for them are cheaper. V12 has the hardest to find, most expensive parts. If there is an experienced W140 owner in your area, I would politely ask them if I were you to take a look at whatever car you're looking to get. Also, ask the owner what work has been done to the car already

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Regrettably many are being sent to the scrap-heap. However that also means used parts should become more common! (but I wouldn't bet the house on it)
At the end of the day these cars were very well built and it really is up to you how much you'll want to spend keeping one on the road.
AND... Just think. That new Hyundai you just overtook is devaluing at an alarming rate every year. Much more than your Benz. ;)

If I can be completely honest. I didn't pay a lot for mine so if "my girl" was to have a catastrophic failure all is not lost.

FYI: I inquired about OEM keys recently and there are many available at Mercedes-Benz, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.
They can program them to your car if they know the VIN and you can provide proof of *ownership. (*Not sure how you'd do that internationally. About $400 AUD per key!)

There also another option I'm sure most people here know about... KEYLESS ENTRY FOR MERCEDES BENZ CL & S-CLASS W140 96-02 - United Auto Security, LLC

#6 ·
Appreciate the feedback. As I've started the search, I notice a lot of these being parted out instead of being sold whole (even if they're still running). I'd love to find a 600 to make my weekend car but I've noticed craigslist has limited the way you can search for cars (200 mile radius instead of allowing you to select however many areas to search in).

Appreciate the feedback. I'll do the research on what to ask owners in regards to what work has been done recently.

#7 · (Edited)
I would get one built 1995 or later. Why? Because after this, the cars no longer were built with crappy biodegradable wiring.
I respectfully disagree. I've earned my signature by disputing this and will not hesitate to do it again.
There is NOTHING bio in the MB harness.

There were issues, true, but not related to bacteria.
Plus, most likely, they have been sorted out out by now.

And if you happen to find an early v12 that still has the original fuel injector harness, send it to me -- I will replace the bad wires for free

As far as parts go, it depends on what engine size you're looking to get. The smaller engine cars were more common, and the parts for them are cheaper. V12 has the hardest to find, most expensive parts.
I disagree with this notion too. There are few v12 specific parts (mostly electronic controls and nobody buys them new anyways). Most other parts are similar/same.
Come to think about it -- the single most expensive new part I've seen is the SLS shock absorber = over $500 a piece, but they are installed on many other models, not just the v12s.

The v12s are also perceived as harder to work, which probably is also a myth. The repair bills are going to be steeper, especially if you don't turn the wrench yourself, but if you do the work on your own, you'll be surprised how well-thought the design is.

My advise, if I may -- if you really want a w140, get the best one you can find. Budget for at least $5-10K in deferred maintenance, regardless of mileage and condition.

Good luck,
Steve

#8 ·
As I've started the search, I notice a lot of these being parted out instead of being sold whole (even if they're still running). I'd love to find a 600 to make my weekend car but I've noticed craigslist has limited the way you can search for cars (200 mile radius instead of allowing you to select however many areas to search in).
Please try this search engine:

SearchTempest: Search all of Craigslist nationwide & more

All CL and ebay, unlimited distance

There is also classifieds section of this forum (as well as FS/WTB sticky which is w140 specific)

Steve

PS Some people have reported success stories with AutoTrader, check them out too (they also allow Nationwide search)

#9 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum,

Our cars are BIG TIME obsolete if Mercedes had it their way as they want US to walk into the showroom to get a NEW S-Class. The S-Class is the biggest sale for them, so they want you to walk into the show room as the S-Class buyer has the BIG Bucks......

On the S600's(V12's), much of critical wiring harnesses are no longer made, and some of the critical computer modules, so we as fans have to resort to old stock, eBay, Craigslist, and the junk yard... I think they want us to walk into the showroom for a new S600, yet the S500/S420/S320 the harnesses are still being made, so what gives?

Understand that..

The other stuff can be sourced by 2nd party vendors...

Just why the manufacture does not make the part it is not the reason to get one of these cars... One does have to do a little-do-diligence to find some critical part..

Martin

#10 ·
Motaw, I wouldn't get too focused on parts. Yes you may need a radiator or an alternator (just the voltage regulator) but as Steve says, they are not much more expensive than other cars. It is the shocks that are pricey. I would scour AutoTrader.com. nationwide. There were three coupes listed when I found mine. That gives you an idea of whats out there and the pricing. I'm not a fan of Craig's List. Seems to me that the "slicksters" predominate. I bought a '97 CL600 about 18 months ago. Had a wiring harness failure and recently a bad cat but not much else. I spent about $4K on maintenance when I got the car and little since then. It is a joy to drive and I took a 3200 mile road trip last Fall. They are tough to work on becasue the engine fills the whole compartment so there isn't much room but Mercedes did give us some access holes, etc. I STRONGLY suggest you have a PPI done by a good independent when you find the "one". Especially look at the four struts/absorbers for leaks.
Yes, they are dinosaurs but it is MY dinosaur.
Anziani

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.