Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Buying a 98 S420...

721 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  Aockunzzi 
#1 ·
Recently checked out an unusual S420. Has 24k original miles with a clean title. 1 owner, but changed hands once just to sell it again. Clean car fax, all maintenance done at the dealer. It does however show it was involved in an accident. No details could be found about the extent of it. The left rear bumper looks scuffed, not sure if that would be in a report? No signs of body repair or paint, just wanted to hear someone's opinion about it. Inside it's immaculate, drives like a champ. Everything works.

#2 ·
The car's 19 years old so it would be unusual if it wasn't involved in an accident of some point but I'd be concerned that the accident was serious enough to show up on a "Car Fax". (Assuming that's how "Car Fax" works)
I'd try and get more details before committing to anything & if you have any doubts walk away. (Even if it drives like a champ)

I see you're in Florida. I'm sure there are lots of Cream Puffs to choose from there. ;)

#3 ·
98 S420

No details could be found about the ext not of the accident other than being involved with a left side impact with other vehicle. 9 months after the report the lower control arms were replaced and the axle bearing. These cars are very hard to find, even in FL. The mileage is unheard of. The condition of it will make your heart beat rapidly... Love at first sight for me.

#7 ·
Got the inspection report back today... long story/very shady...but it needs both lower control arms replaced, stabilizer links replaced, and the power steering box is leaking. It says both left and right doors have been repainted, and "a lot of corrosion from salt or being parked at the beach." Now I am going to check out a 1999 S 500 on Monday. I think the 500 engine is superior to the 420 anyway. Let's hope she is a beauty...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.