Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Back in the 140 club : 1999 S600 Black 24k miles

6K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  biglescobar 
#1 ·
As a kid, the 140 was my dream car and in 2007 I bought a 92 600sel as a 2nd car but it had 160k miles and a ton of the usual issues for that year so I got rid of it after a year but I always missed it and vowed to get another one in the future, and recently had been looking to find a "perfect" 1999 S600. I have looked on and off over the years but never found the right one but I recently located a Black/Black in Toronto with 24k miles and had it imported and just got it yesterday. The forwarder had to change the cluster from km to miles to clear customs. Will take a little while get all the papers straightened out to register it here but I have driven it a little bit and it is good to be back. I had a 2015 s550 and drive a 2016 s600 maybach now and they are great but the feeling of this car is just something different and one I have not felt since the 1992 600. This is a great forum and you guys are what motivated me to pull the trigger and get another one. To my knowledge it is probably the lowest mileage 600 left but you guys would know better than I. I need to have it detailed as it has paint swirls and light scratches but nothing that would be unexpected for an 18-19 year old car. Any recommendations on the best way to get the paint fully restored would be appreciated as I have never been big into detailing. The inside is really as close to flawless as I have seen and mechanically it looks great, I had it inspected before I bought it and it has all dealer records. The wheels are from a w220 s600 I believe they are ok but not great. I am considering replacing the headlights as well so they look fresher and newer but the main priority is just the detailing to get the paint looking as close to new as possible again. Just wanted to share with the forum, if not for you guys I wouldn't have ever gotten another 140 , good to see how many people appreciate these cars , here's some quick pics I took with my phone

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Looks fantastic. Welcome back to the w140 club.

Yours might be one of the least "used" ones still out there.
A couple of years ago, I almost pulled the trigger on what I believed to be the ultimate garage queen -- it had ca. 27,000 miles at the time of the sale:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w14...ing-untold-stories-garage-2.html#post15618578

I've seen a few other S600 cars advertised with mileage in the 40-50K range, but nothing even close to 24000

Good luck,
Steve

PS Your car is not 25 years old and importing to the US will require more than just changing the cluster. If you don't mind me asking -- how much will the "Federalization" of your Canadian-spec car set you back?

#3 ·
Thanks, customs has already cleared the car, MB Canada sent a letter saying the car meets all USA Standards aside from the cluster being in KM and that the USA and Canada cars were identical emission wise.....I had a broker who specializes in Canadian cars being imported to USA handle the conversion and paperwork....I just got the car yesterday and should have the original paperwork back from customs shortly ( I have the copies already but need the orginals).....After that I can submit everything to NJ where I live to get the car registered and titled here....I have already spoken to them and have the checklist of everything needed, all Im waiting on is the original customs paper with the stamp to submit everything so hopefully there are no issues in getting all of this taken care of....its a pain for sure and I would have liked to avoid it but the car was too good to pass up.....

#4 ·
Congrats and welcome.

"I had a 2015 s550 and drive a 2016 s600 maybach now and they are great but the feeling of this car is just something different and one I have not felt since the 1992 600."

Doesn't get more real than that.

#5 · (Edited)
Congrats! And welcome back to the W140 club! Also, welcome to the 1999 W/C140 Sub-Club, where we track VIN's and how many are left in North America (in a thread somewhere > Here http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1257700-1999-s600-vin.html#post1857956).

As far as detailing and care: the best treatment I know of for these cars (and this comes from someone who used to work at a detailing shop) is the Zymöl product line for Mercedes-Benz. I was recently reminded of this from a friend that detailed his car. It is, however, quite expensive. But, it sounds like you have a mini fleet going of Merc products, so it may be worth your investment.
If I were you, I'd get a hold of your local Zymöl rep and get all the information you can about the product, and why it is so good for these cars. Maybe even get a demo or a lesson on how to use it.

Jason.

#6 ·
Zymol is the best. There is no other product like 'HD Cleanse' pre-wax treatment. You'll want to get a few bottles of HD Cleanse and a tub of Carbon Wax. It will cost about $100 but lasts a long time. I've been using Zymol for decades.

There is also technique to using the products that you should read up on first especially HD Cleanse.

Their product for leather called 'Treat' is also quite good as is Doc Martens Wonder Balsam, but you need to do cleaning with saddle soap as wonder balsam is best applied to damp leather.

#9 ·
Sweet looking S600. Is the rear seat a bench or the coveted 4 place seating? The front seat looks just like mine. You can get new floor mats at Ecklers (or elsewhere) for about $150. I keep a sew set et of Grey ones for car shows and use Black ones as my daily driver mats. Black hides everything!

My first S500 was made for the Canadian market. The headlights came on automatically as daytime running lights. She was a beauty (May she rest in Peace!) I guess we all remember our first MB just like our first sex!

#10 ·
Not sure what part of Toronto it was from as I dont know the area that well....... Has standard bench seats in the back, not the 4 place ones.......Ill look into some new mats as well as new headlights, whats weird is this car was made for Canada but doesnt have daytime running lights.....thanks

#12 ·
Here is the VIN WDBGA57G1XA404021

MB of Canada listed it as a MY 1999 on the emissions letter they provided for customs clearance, although they indicate it was produced in 1/98....

Also my apologize from before, it does have daytime running lights, I hadnt even noticed until today......

#13 ·
Here it is

Main data
Parameter Value
Ident. number (FIN) WDB1400571A404021
VIN WDBGA57G1XA404021
Baumuster 140057
Sales name S600L
Permanent link Checking VIN for Mercedes-Benz WDBGA57G1XA404021 | CARInfo
Order number 0 9 701 73937 (Destination: Canada)
Delivery date 08 01 1998
PAINT1 197 APPLICATION CODE FOR COMPONENT PROCESSING
Interior color 518A EXCLUSIVE GREY LEATHER
Engine 120982 12 010325
Gearbox 722621 00 736235
General data for model code 140057

SA codes
Parameter Value
197 APPLICATION CODE FOR COMPONENT PROCESSING
214 ADAPTIVE DAMPING SYSTEM (ADS) WITH SKYHOOK
251 RADIO MB - EXQUISIT - USA
404 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT LEFT
405 MULTI-CONTOUR SEAT, FRONT RIGHT
414 ELECTRIC TILT/SLIDE SUNROOF IN GLASS VERSION
460 VEHICLES FOR CANADA, ADDITIONAL PARTS
494 VERSION FOR USA
500A LEATHER, EXCLUSIVE
518A EXCLUSIVE GREY LEATHER
524 PAINTWORK - PRESERVATION
540 ROLLER BLIND, ELECTRIC, FOR REAR WINDOW
551 ANTI-THEFT/ANTI-BREAK-IN WARNING SYSTEM
582 AIR CONDITIONER IN THE REAR
612 XENON HEADLIGHT
634 DELETION - FIRST AID KIT
636 DELETION - WARNING TRIANGLE
668 PACKAGING FOR SHIPPING VEHICLES WITH TIE-DOWN HOOK
809 AEJ 06/1/M/X
810 SOUND SYSTEM
872 No code designation available
987 BATTERY ISOLATION SWITCH FOR SHIPMENT VEHICLES

#19 ·
Wow it looks beautiful... Those wheels gotta go tho. haa wrong gen wheels!!

and having a 2016 maybach and buying a 99 S600.. u da man!!
Thanks for the feedback guys , yea the Nt days were a lifetime ago lol...
Here's a pic for size comparison with the maybach s600, they are about the same length

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.