Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

M120.980/981 (1995) Cylinder Head Specification

977 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Justin Daniels 
#1 ·
Good afternoon,
I have a quick (hopefully) question about M120 cylinder heads - I'm not quite at the point where I'm willing to drop the $60USD for 24 hours of STAR TekInfo, but this one may push me to take the plunge.

I'm just wondering if anyone knows the maximum allowable distance from any point on the head to a straight edge laid across it in the usual spots?

Also curious there's a minimum head thickness specification for machining a head if it is outside of the above spec.

Thanks in advance, any help is greatly appreciated.

An aside to the moderator(s) of this section: I tried to post up a thread as a bit of a "build diary" for the rebuild (I'm sure I'll screw something up that someone else will be able to learn from) but it either never got approved or I managed to screw the post up somehow, I'll give it another go at some point.

Cheers!

- Justin

See less See more
#2 ·
Answering my own question in case anyone else needs this data for reference:

Overall height of cylinder head: 135.9-136.0 mm
Minimum height after machining: 135.5 mm
Permissible difference from flatness of contact surface
i) Longitudinally: 0.08 mm
ii) Transversely: 0.0 mm

The stock removal at the cylinder head and at the crankcase of an engine must together be not 0.4 mm

Permissible difference in parallelism of top to bottom contact surface longitudinally: 0.2 mm
Peak-to-valley height: 0.003 - 0.010 mm

#4 ·
I should have specified that.

It came from the MB Manual for the '95 M120.980, I've attached the reference.

I managed to get a STARS DVD downloaded/installed/working last night since my Friday night plans were to figure out this information for the machine shop (I lead a fun-filled life).

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.