Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New (old) S500 w/ New Trans Problem

656 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  MAVA 
#1 ·
Hey all! I'm bringing a '97 S500 back to live. She has 132k miles, but sat for a few years in a field. I think some critters moved in, too.

Anyway, she's coming back from the dead very successfully! Her engine just purrs and the interior is cleaning up very well.

But I'm fighting a transmission problem.

When I manually put her into first gear, she doesn't go. She'll rev, but won't move. Then when I put her into D, she'll drive but only in (what I'm guessing is) 2nd gear. I'm getting a P0700 code. I put on a used conductor plate from a working car, but the mercedes tech who ran the codes after that... says the RPM sensor is throwing the code.

Will a new conductor plate solve the issue? I'm worried that the transmission is kaput because there's no first gear.

Thoughts?

I appreciate the help!!

#2 ·
To answer your question, yes!!! 9 times out of 10 you will need a conductor plate, but do replace the circular connector(the real name is Pilot Bushing), and since you are there at the conductor plate. Replace the regulation spring too... See this thread:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1474350-photo-diy-722-6-conductor-plate.html?highlight=

Remember, any transmission code MUST be reset from the engine 38 pin connector, and no mater if you replace the conductor plate with a new one. You need to reset the code..

The conductor plate is a normal wear and tear item...

Martin
Martin

#3 ·
Thanks!

I forgot to mention, I replaced the circular electrical connector and cleaned the wires leading up to the transmission computer. I did that before replacing the conductor plate.

I guess I'll get a new conductor plate (Mercedes, not aftermarket) and hope for the best.

I'm just worried that there's no first gear when manually shifting down to first.

Any other ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.