Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

New member of the W140 club

4K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  anziani 
#1 ·
#4 · (Edited)
Nice driver. There are folks here that have even higher mileage cars. The one discussed here has over 250,000 miles and the rear suspension is apparently untouched -- still rides smooth.

Enjoy!
Steve

PS Judging from the sheer number of posts (over 40K) you are a long-time MB aficionado and I don't need to remind you to go over the ignition/fueling components. The plugged cats are a sign, but not the culprit, that something is amiss (could be as simple as injector, coil, dizzy cap/rotor, or plugs/HT leads)

#5 ·
As one of the moderators here, welcome aboard. You are a handy guy. That is good news!

The super weak point on these cars is the famous "Heater Tee" which can blow on the road, and ruin your engine in under a minute. I'd advise to change it like yesterdays "New York Second", and buy a German MADE tee.... AutohauzAZ sell the same one Mercedes sells from the same manufacture which is Rein Brand... Here is the story on the tee:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1320788-evil-lurks-under-hood-really-devil.html

http://www.autohausaz.com/pn/1408301696

Change this tee too:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1719760-another-coolant-fitting-breaks.html

You might as well change out those two rear heater hoses to, and the little front hose on the front of the intake manifold, but I would change lower and upper radiator hoses with the thermostat, and its bypass hose. Along with the radiator petcock valve. Flush out all that old coolant with distilled water...

Welcome aboard Sir !!

Martin

#8 ·
I've been doing a ton of work on the car and having a ball. :)

Off the top of my head, and I'm sure I'll forget stuff:

New battery
Engine compartment detailed
Replaced a bunch of burned out light bulbs.
Refurbished the grill and the hood vent.
Interior completely detailed.
All door switches and lights now working.
Trunk and rear lights done.
Replaced fuses, all electric components working.
Plus a million other little things..

Left on the list, replace badly damaged (brittle) coolant overflow tank, refinish wheels, redo center console wood, Exhaust work, SLS check. Finally, a full tune up.

Moving to a full paint correction now. This car had a poor respray and was never wet sanded of buffed so there's a lot of orange peel to knock down. On the positive side, whoever did the paint job laid down a really thick coat so I get get pretty aggressive with the sanding and compound work.

Some pics...

Attachments

#11 ·
Been making steady progress, too many things to list.

First problem that has me somewhat stumped, when running, the digital display lights up no problem but when I turn the lights on it goes off and no other light in the cluster comes on. Gauges are unaffected.

Ideas?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.