Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jan 2014
Vehicle: 98 S420 96 S600 Fixing 96 S500 92 600SEL Past 96 S280 x2
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 400 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Joes 600SEL

Acquired from Nowhereman in Melbourne, original thread HERE.

Early 1992 Black over beige/tan interior.

The Good:

No catalytic converters from factory.
Evaporator replaced. This is a major plus with this car.
Crank case breather is not leaking.
No oil leaks to worry about, nothing drips, just some seepage from steering box and from timing chain covers.
Trans is dry, responds to manual shifts nice and quick.
Engine cooling system is 100%.
Interior is 100% functioning.
Brand new headlights and front indicators.
Upper harness has been replaced.
Self-close is all working.
Front upper and lower control arm bushes have been replaced.
Black! I've always wanted a black W140. OK it's blue-black, but much easier to keep clean than obsidian.
Car came with lots and lots of spares and new parts.
It was free to a good home, can't really complain about the price.

The Bad, but keep in mind I thoroughly went over this car when I got it back:

Will require some paintless dent removal on the doors and trunk plus paintwork.
Engine will possibly need one or more lifters replaced. (new replacement parts supplied). I will know more after I fix MAF wiring and run the engine more.
MAF wiring is in need of replacement as insulation is all cracking off. (seems to run rich)
Was going into ASR limp mode but cleaning ABS/wheel speed sensors seems to have fixed that for now.
I'm guessing the ETAs have not had the wiring replaced but not causing problems yet.
Engine oil pressure sender wiring needs fixing.
Seat leathers need replacing. (spare good front seats supplied with car).
Ignition key/switch requires addressing. (parts supplied).
Noisy fuel pump. (new replacement supplied).
It's pulling trans fluid up a vacuum line so new shifter diaphram on trans is needed.
Needs front shocks and swaybar links. (new swaybar links supplied).
Have not looked at rear suspension yet, might need some bushes replaced, which are supplied anyway.

Plan is to fix MAF wiring 1st then run the car more to work out if I need to replace any hydraulic lifters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	17200112_10154449852717081_202092470_o.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	47.3 KB
ID:	2114610   Click image for larger version

Name:	s2.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	2114618  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:42 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2010
Vehicle: '85 300D Turbo, '91 420SEL, '92 190E 2.6, '09 C350, '12 E63 Wagon
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Wow. Lucky you! Wish I lived in Australia!
Merc-S600 likes this.
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 12:56 PM
Outstanding Contributor

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 93 SL500, 95 SL320, 96 S320, 98 S500, 2002 E320 4Matic Wagon & A little 91 5.0 FORD Mustang
Location: Sacramento, California & El Dorado Hills, California, USA
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
For the $500 Australian and your efforts with getting it home. It was worth it!!

Saved from the crusher...

Good job Joe..

Martin

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 01:05 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2016
Vehicle: 1993 V12 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Hi Joe:
I am surprised how short "the BAD" list is. Is there "the UGLY" section that you left out?

This is not bad at all. No take it back. This is awesome! Engine runs, transmission shifts -- priceless!

Sorting the wiring for someone who has done it already will be relatively easy. Suspension and the other minor things are easy.

The lifter -- do you have a knocking sound? The car has been sitting for some time, right? Put some additive in the oil and run it hot. Chances are you have crude in the oil galleries.

BTW, does it have SLS/ADS?

Good luck,
Steve

PS My car is also a 1992 production and I have 2 (two) fuel pumps. Do you have only one? I noticed that after I drained the old fuel and replaced the filter, the humming is now quieter. You may want to consider the same before you put the new pump, especially if the fuel is over 1 year old.
Merc-S600 and Joe-Trojan like this.

post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-16-2017, 08:46 PM
W140 Moderator

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: Merc 93 W140 S600 / Merc-05-413CDI-Sprinter Turbo / Merc-09 B180-CDI / Holden Rodeo RA 3.5L V6 <
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzchen View Post
Wow. Lucky you! Wish I lived in Australia!
To Boring here Chan you wouldn't like it here . While the rest of the World is battling ISIS & wars , here they are more worried if the grass will grow in time in the new Cricket Stadium , they trying to figure out why the Tourist are getting eaten by the Crocodiles & why the girls stopped warring g-strings on the beach .
Except for us W140 enthusiast's ,we make our own exiting news like Joe gets free S600's & I kill fly's hovering over my car waiting to strike & drop there yellow dot on my windscreen or where ever & Ilhan decided to go into hospital to have a rest .
How exiting is Australia ,Really .
Joe is in good hands btw .
anziani and Joe-Trojan like this.

>->->- My-S600 ->->->-

--"VENI-VIDI-VICI"--
"I came-I saw-I conquered".
Driving a W140 & everything else feels like is standing still .
Everything you like to know about the W140's
>>>> " http://www.mb-w140.de/ " <<<< .

==============ALL AUSTRALIAN W140 OWNERS ,CLICK ME:==============
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 01:03 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_B View Post
Hi Joe:
I am surprised how short "the BAD" list is. Is there "the UGLY" section that you left out?

This is not bad at all. No take it back. This is awesome! Engine runs, transmission shifts -- priceless!

Sorting the wiring for someone who has done it already will be relatively easy. Suspension and the other minor things are easy.

The lifter -- do you have a knocking sound? The car has been sitting for some time, right? Put some additive in the oil and run it hot. Chances are you have crude in the oil galleries.

BTW, does it have SLS/ADS?

Good luck,
Steve

PS My car is also a 1992 production and I have 2 (two) fuel pumps. Do you have only one? I noticed that after I drained the old fuel and replaced the filter, the humming is now quieter. You may want to consider the same before you put the new pump, especially if the fuel is over 1 year old.
Yeah lots of car here but I can understand why nowhereman was in over his head.

Not sure if it's lifter/s or something else like timing chain tensioner or stretched chain. I started it up after sitting for 48 hrs and there was a ball-bearing-in-blender type sound coming from LH bank gradually going away, completely gone ~60 seconds. It did have the classic knock sound from an empty lifter when I first picked it up but that's gone now. While the engine does rev nice and free and is completely stable at idle with no hunting, there is a slight bump at idle, like one cylinder is not 100%.

Has SLS, no ADS.

I havn't been under the rear but if it's original it will still have the dual pump setup. I'll look at converting to later type single fuel pump, if not then two new. I don't plan on trusting 25 year old fuel pumps.
Merc-S600 likes this.
post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:06 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc-S600 View Post
How exiting is Australia ,Really .
I wish I knew Chris. Visiting 'down under' is on my wish list.

Probably I am all wrong about it, but extrapolating from the EXTREMELY WELL designed and build Holden Commodore (zeta platform) -- my daily driver -- the Aussies are very cool guys who know appreciate excitement behind the steering wheel.
In my book, that's NOT boring at all.

My car gets compliments everywhere and will make the c140 cry, both from the line and on the highway (they are almost 15 years apart in technological development, of course).

Best regards,
Steve

PS For those not in the US, the Holden was sold here under the name Pontiac G8 (now defunct), and 2017 is the last year buyers can get one, currently re-badged as Chevy SS
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	G8_1.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	2115762   Click image for larger version

Name:	G8_2.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	2115770  
Merc-S600 and Rupununipete like this.

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 06:17 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Trojan View Post
Yeah lots of car here but I can understand why nowhereman was in over his head.

Not sure if it's lifter/s or something else like timing chain tensioner or stretched chain. I started it up after sitting for 48 hrs and there was a ball-bearing-in-blender type sound coming from LH bank gradually going away, completely gone ~60 seconds. It did have the classic knock sound from an empty lifter when I first picked it up but that's gone now. While the engine does rev nice and free and is completely stable at idle with no hunting, there is a slight bump at idle, like one cylinder is not 100%.

Has SLS, no ADS.

I havn't been under the rear but if it's original it will still have the dual pump setup. I'll look at converting to later type single fuel pump, if not then two new. I don't plan on trusting 25 year old fuel pumps.
Not the revisit the discussion about my laundry list of repairs, but looks like you have less things to worry about than me (both known and perhaps yet to be discovered). The parts are all provided with the car, you need to put some time and effort into it and will have a solid car in no-time.

How many miles/kilometers? Timing chain stretch probably will be apparent on a high-mileage car, but if low miles and rarely used. carbon built-up and stuck rings are more likely. You are perhaps one of the very few people on this planet who can tell a weak cylinder on a V12 (there are stories about people running on one of the banks only and not realizing that have a problem... :-))

Good luck,
Steve

PS Now having seen what you've got for the price of a nice dinner, I will admit it, I regret my purchase.....

post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:31 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Premium Member

Lifetime Premium Member
(Thread Starter)
Forgot to mention that this car has the rear sunshade.

Here a respray is 8-10k and that's not bare metal. With the faded areas of clear on the roof and the marks from living in suburban Melbourne it needs a full respray.

Mileage from nowheremans info estimated ~200k miles.

I'm sure some rubbers could do with a change and some other things will pop up but I'll fix as required, not all in one hit.

The work nowhereman did is top notch. Evap/AC, cooling system, self close, headlights etc. Obviously by looking at the pile of parts he planned on doing a lot more with this car.

SS Commodore vs S600 let me just say once you get your 600 out on the road and unleash it properly you will be surprised. From a stop is not the W140s strong point with the tall ratios but from a roll the car comes into it's own. With the 722.3 you need to shift it manually for maximum performance where the 722.6 in the later cars will shift itself at maximum performance. From stand still you need to stall it up for the advertised 0-100kph in 6 sec. If I wasn't careful in the S600 it would just fry the previous 255s without traction control. The current 285s on the rear don't spin though, heaps of traction. You don't want to trigger traction control while launching as it takes eons to revert back to full power.

No need to regret your car. Yes, you needed to do a lot in one go, but now it's basically brand new. The SS will be falling to pieces while your M120 C140 will continue indifferently.
post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 03-17-2017, 07:54 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Trojan View Post

No need to regret your car. Yes, you needed to do a lot in one go, but now it's basically brand new. The SS will be falling to pieces while your M120 C140 will continue indifferently.
Hi Joe:
The Aussie-made car is superb, no need to downplay its coolness. I've had it since new (my only new car) and purchased it 9 years ago. Zero complains. Going very strong.

Dollar-for-dollar, this car eats the C140 for breakfast. $32,000 with all taxes included, with 2 miles on the odometer. 3 year bumper-to-bumper warranty, 5-year powertrain, 1 year scheduled maint. and 6 mo. satellite radio and On-star included.
Not sure what engines are available in Australia, but the 6.0L V8 form the factory is good for 360HP and for a small cost can be tuned to over 500HP. On regular gas!!

It lacks the refinement of the MB, but fits me perfectly -- rough around the edges but with a lot of potential -- just like yours truly... :-))

I am not regretting the C140 purchase, worded it poorly -- I envy you since you've got "more car" than a project, for less (in a market that doesn't even come close to the prices of w140 we have here in the US).

Let's stop the talk and do the walk. Take the wrench out and enjoy your weekend in the garage. I am planning on doing the same.

Steve
Jayare likes this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > Mercedes-Benz Sedan Forums > W140 S-Class

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in