Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Free to good home (I hope) - 600SEL -Melbourne Australia

3K views 28 replies 10 participants last post by  Merc-S600 
#1 ·
The time has come to part with my '92 600SEL. I am giving it away to anyone willing to arrange the transport. It is located in Melbourne, in the Ringwood area.

Its state hasn't changed much since I last wrote about it. It has sat in the driveway for over a year with nothing being done to it. I've started it a couple of times but that's it.

To recap, the ignition switch broke and a new one is wired in, dangling from under the dash. The broken key is in the lock, turned so that the steering will work. It is stuck in LHM due, I think, to a failed lower harness. The oil pressure gauge was dancing around for a while before it finally gave up. The drivers door handle stopped working. This is new, I only found out last night when I went to start it up. I had to climb in the passenger side and open it from there.

I was able to back it into the street, and with a bit of stress, it climbed back up the mild slope to get back into the driveway. So I can get it out onto the street, but it would need a winch to get onto a flatbed.

The boot has a load of spare parts in it, mostly for the front suspension. These will come with the car.

Lee has already expressed interest, but getting it to Warrnambool is problematic. He will work something out if there are no other takers. If that falls through, however, it will go to a wrecking yard. That would be a real shame, as it was running really sweet until the current state of affairs and represents a few years of work. But, reality says it has to go.

See less See more
#3 ·
Actually, you are first in line. Lee mentioned you'd be the mostly likely to take it and basically said he would have it if nobody else did, just to keep it from being scrapped.

In case you haven't come across this, it would be wise to mention that there will be 'cargo' in the boot. Some car transport companies charge extra or refuse to move the vehicle if they think it is being used to ferry other stuff.

#5 ·
Also mention the state of the car; that it is driveable but doesn't have much guts. When it's stuck in LHM the accelerator needs to be pushed right to the floor to move. Which is counter intuitive. It was very weird trying to get back into the drive last night, flooring a V12 when there is a garage door only 30M away just didn't feel right.

Some companies get really iffy about things like this. On other forums people ended up having to abandon things they really wanted because they couldn't get it transported. Or, had to get a trailer and drive a thousand miles and ship it themselves.

#17 ·
And, it's gone. Joe and his father just left with it in tow. Joe kindly gave me $500 for it.

This is probably the end of my association the W140. I'm driving a BA Fairmont Ghia now. They are about as generic as one can get, and being on LPG cheap to run. Nothing like the W140 to drive. I feel bit numb not seeing the 600SEL in the drive, but that will pass.

#18 · (Edited)
Thanks again to nowhereman!! So much car, so many parts, it's all quite overwhelming. There's heaps of things included that he didn't mention, all top quality.

Two sets of door glass, two extra front seats, boxes of used spares and a set of original W140 wheels and yet more new parts are not shown.

:cool:

Edit: All the engine covers and both front bar inserts were included.

Attachments