Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ASR Faults

5K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  sc_rufctr 
#1 ·
Hi

I know there are heaps of posts relating to ASR and in most cases its ASR and ABS or ASR and LHM

Well I only have ASR lamp in the cluster on after a minute or so after starting the car

No LHM

Can feel in the steering wheel what feels like a pump running just after you drive off which should only run once normally but I am feeling it run about five or six times and then the ASR lamp comes on

Codes for the ASR tests are

017 Solenoid valve relay A7/3k1

021 Pressure switch A7/3s1 longtime monitoring

Drives and brakes normally

Any advice ?

Regards to all

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Lee , before you go nuts ,do the inexpensive things 1st , like, Clean booth of the brake ABS sensors at the front wheels ,should only be left passenger side one but do booth ,easy & quick fix .
How is you brake switch ,ever changed that ? .

Check the 4 fuses in the coffin box,one of those controls the ASR , if your car has them .
Underneath the Main fuse box in engine comp.. , there is a relay that also plays part with ASR ,check the fuse thread to locate it .I know it has been raining heavy in Victoria recently ,maybe that relay got wet due to it's bad location .

In the links below you find your codes . :thumbsup:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1361345-were-asr-relay-located.html

K6JRF Auto Page\
\
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2730153-fuse-box-relays-explained.html

#4 ·
How did this end up?

I'm having similar issues with my car. 1992 400SE... Starts and runs fine but the ASR light comes on when you lift off your foot from the accelerator pedal and the engine RPMs drop down to idle. Once the ASR light is on pressing the pedal doesn't do anything unless you floor it. It picks up but the engine runs rough. The only way to get going again is to shut it off and start it again.

Once the car is warm it runs and drives with no issues. Also, the engine runs very smooth.

I was thinking it's moisture cold related but before I dive in I'd thought I'd ask in this thread.

As far as I can tell the main engine harness has been replaced but I haven't inspected the throttle body wires.

#6 ·
That's disconcerting to say the least. :confused:

If I let it sit and warm up just enough for the temp needle to move off the rest peg then it's fine.

It must be fixable. I've been doing some reading and I suspect it's the potentiometer in the throttle housing. (The ASR light only come on when you release the throttle pedal and the revs drop to idle) I also checked and my 92 400SE doesn't have the biodegradable wiring loom that's connected to the throttle body however I'll check it anyway. I'm not sure about the rest of the wiring in the car.

#12 ·
Thanks, I've been watching Victors videos. I watched all the V8 TB removal ones & the task looks easy enough.

But thinking about this it may be that my idle is set too low or it's not working properly when cold. Either way I'll be pulling the codes before deciding the next course of action. Meanwhile it still drives perfectly once it warms up a little bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.