Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Power-steering Box Leak

4K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Alter 
#1 ·
My power-steering box is leaking very lightly. Is there anything that can be done to stop this leak, without replacing this with another one, as they run about $400-$500.
Thank You.

#2 ·
Do you know if the leak is coming from the steering box itself? If it's just a hose or something you can probably do an easy fix. If it's the box itself your only option is either going to be a rebuild or a new unit.

I don't know what your mechanical ability is, but rebuild/seal kits are like $50 if that's something you're able to do (I have no idea how hard it is). I had to have my steering box done a couple of years ago and I think my mechanic charged me like $350 for the rebuild. Took him about a week or so.

#5 ·
I had a thread on this subject...
Short answer, if it is lower seal on the steering box - sealant will not work. If it is other seals, then you have pretty good chance.
Lower seal can be replaced with minimal effort, if it is leaking then you have too much motion on that seal to be fixed by stop leak.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.