Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Do all 600SEL's have hydraulic suspension?

4K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  thisisntchris87 
#1 ·
I'm thinking about adding a W140 to my car collection and was curious if all 600SEL's came standard with self leveling suspension. I would prefer to find one without it if I can as parts seem to be scarce and expensive.

I enjoy working on my own cars and prefer euro cars made in the 80s and 90s when quality actually stood for something. I think the 600SEL will make a great addition as long as I can find one that isn't too far gone.

#3 ·
I can confirm what Steve_B said, as someone who has studied SLS/ADS suspension extensively. All S600s were equipped standard with SLS/ADS and ADS cannot exist without SLS.

Parts are not too scarce, but yes they are expensive, however many owners can attest that an ADS equipped W140 rides beautifully.

#4 ·
Dan,
If you want further information regarding the 600SEL and what sort of things to watch out for then feel free to PM me. I've had the pleasure (and sometimes headache) of owning one for about 2 years now and I have learned a lot along the way.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

#5 ·
Dan, my last two cars "CL500 and 600 both had SLS suspensions and the CL600 has the ADS also. The first thing you look for is oil leakage on the rear struts. If they are leaking they will cost about 6-800 dollars to replace. There are two spherical accumulators back there that actuate the struts. They are a maintenance item, cost about 100 each and last about 90,000 miles. The SLS system is operated by a pump INSIDE of the power steering pump. It has its own filter and uses a special MB hydraulic fluid. Normal maintenance requires flushing/replacing the fluid/filter about every 30K. I have never had a problem with either of the two cars. Consider this: you have a couple of "heavy weights" in the rear seat, their suit cases and 27 gallons of fuel in the tank. You will thank Thor and Odin that you have a "self leveling" system.
I haven't figured out ADS yet. Unfortunately my current '97CL600 has 20" Lorinser wheels that are NOT conducive to a perfect ride. When we put a computer on the ADS system all of the voltages check and I can make an almost 90 degree right turn at about 60MPH and the car is perfectly level with no signs of distress (except by the passenger) so I guess it works.
Anziani

#9 ·
ADS works beautifully until it has a problem that it refuses to identify to you, as myself and another member here can attest to.

#11 ·
ADS stands for Adaptive Damping Suspension. It basically allows the suspension firmness/softness to be dynamically adjusted based on road and driving conditions. It has various sensors connected to a computer, which actuates damping valves. As for Japan, no idea; it was mostly fitted as standard in the S600s (optional for S500s) for the USA market, but just an option everywhere else as far as I know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.