Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Power cutting out at full throttle. Help.

4K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  Joe-V12 
#1 ·
Power is cutting out at full throttle, if I back off a touch it comes straight back 100% repeatable. Kickdown still works.

Engine feels like traction control is cutting in, no missfiring, ~10% engine power and no codes!

It doesn't matter what revs either.

So far:

New fuel pump and fuel filter installed.
Fuel line to pump is not blocked.
Swapped pedal position sensor.

Any ideas?

#3 ·
The all have the same engine management, but yeah, the 600 is playing up.

Mech guy says it might be an ETA/Throttle playing up, but not throwing a code. I'll be swapping one over later.

Reactions: adolf
#5 ·
Exactly, maybe more than 10% power but it's much less than one bank. Had it on some European scanner this afternoon that showed heaps of live data, can manually activate things etc. Couldn't see anything too strange going on while stationary or driving.

How might wiring make the engine cut out like this? I runs fine 90% and lower throttle.

Found out it only does it at 2,000rpm or higher.

#6 ·
Could one of the cats be plugged? I had a similar problem on the S500. Sometimes going up a hill with the resultant need for more power, the car would hesitate, almost like our old American cars in the 60s and 70,s would act with a plug wire off. If I used the kick-down it was even worse. It was not a constant problem. I had to have it towed and the dealer thought there was engine trouble. Installed a used engine. After starting they called and said I needed a new cat. Makes me wonder if the cat was the original problem.

#7 ·
Cat's are completely removed. Yes in your case the blocked cat would have been the cause, you didn't need a replacement engine, I hope you kept the old engine!

#12 ·
To be fair I have not swapped in a replacement ETA/throttle yet.

Theory behind KS wiring is becasue:
1. the problem only surfaced immediately after I "fixed" the wiring.
2. if I do have the KS wiring crossed up the ECUs cannot compensate with ignition timing correctly and might fall back to a safety ignition map.

Fingers crossed it's a ETA/Throttle. Possibly a thottle position wiper moves into a bad zone at WOT and the ECUS back everything off until I move away from the WOT bad zone.

I'llk keep fighting until I get there!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.