Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

600se engine problem

603 views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  96H 
#1 ·
my 600 se hasn't been running for the last two weeks cause of (what I thought were only) ignition problems. It had a rough idle and deeper exhaust note you could feel a little through the car.
So first things first, I swapped all 12 spark plugs and the car ran fine for a couple of days.
After those days the car started to run worse again when I started it up, when I ran it for a little I even noticed misfires when driving. It also smelled terrible from the exhaust and it gave alot of smoke, especially when revving up.
So I was directly thinking about caps and rotors, bought 2 new caps which finally came in the mail today and cleaned both rotors.

Now here's the weird part, the car has a steady rpm but the engine still is a little shaky (too shaky for a m120) when you put your hand on it or a coin.
It still has a terrible smell and the exhaust smokes alot. When I rev it it gets worse.

So my theory right now is dirty o2 sensors from all the unburned gass.

What do you guys think?

#2 ·
Okay I forgot to come back to this, but I will now (better late than never right?)
The problem was solved fairly easy. I myself couldn't really believe dirty o2 sensors could give out a mixture that's so rich of fuel that it would make my car a driving smoke machine, I also took the car for a little drive and found out that the car didn't behave too well. So I opened up my new distributor caps to check and found out that the caps already had black stripes on the contacts. Then it became pretty obvious to me; the rotors need to be replaced. I cleaned them previously but the black stripes on the dist. caps show that they are too short, therefore leaving those black stripes and failing to give enough spark to burn all the fuel.
So I ordered two new rotors and my car ran fine again.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.