Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1994 S500 LWB rear end TORX socket size

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  scottpeterd 
#1 ·
Anyone know the TORX socket size for axles and other rear suspension parts on W140 .
I'm disassembling one and the axles and another bunch of bolts heads have that TORX head .
Anyone know the size ?
And it's also not 5 point is that a special kind maybe ?
Where can I get one ?

#2 ·
Sorry buddy,

I do not know the sizes, but take some pictures of your work as their is very little documentation on DIY on these.. I'm sure the guys with the high-mileage, or old W140 are in the same boat or have leaking differentials.

If you get into the differential here is one...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1478382-done-diff-side-seals.html

Some other links

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2672226-some-progress-few-more-setbacks.html

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2116906-photo-diy-rear-axle-half-shaft.html

All the best,

Martin

#5 ·
Yes that's it triple square socket head sounds the right one .
So sounds like M12 is the one for the arms and the axles right they are looking bigger than differential cover .
I don't want to take the cover off just take it out and take the arms a part.
Do you know what other wrench sizes are the other nuts and bolts that I need wrenches like 19mm I see maybe 21mm ? and maybe even larger ? to free everything out of the rear frame ?
Thanks !

#6 ·
Yeah i think the axles are M12 too. Ive been meaning to do my diff output seals and check the breather but haven't done it yet, i just bought the sockets.

Not too sure on the other sizes myself as ive only done a few things in the rear. 17mm and 19mm are pretty common sizes needed though.

#8 ·
Today, I am deep into disassembling my S600 rear suspension to replace all the arms, bushes, springs and shocks.

EVERY bolt (eccentric of not) on the control arms uses a XZN (triple square) 12mm bolt head.

My issue is that for both upper arms, where they attach to the frame mounts, have almost NO room to put a socket and breaker bar in to loosen the bolt.

So, for the moment I have used a sawzall to cut and remove the bolts. I am welding up a tool for tighten the new bolts. Pics to follow.

Just wanted to mention that while a torx (6 point) fits, the proper bit is an XZN (12 point).

#9 ·
As promised...

First pic is the rear upper arm. The bolt head was inserted from the right.

Second pic is the front upper arm. The bolt head was inserted from the right.

Third pic is the tool I just welded up. Some of you might recognize it as the sway bar link from the rear end (it is being replaced as part of the maintenance).

By the way, I recommend highly a multi-tool (like Ryobi) with attachable heads. The mini-sawzall attachment is the go-to tool for removing stubborn suspension pieces.

Cheers

Attachments

#10 ·
And yet another one....

The replacement links were Mehle, purchased from Autohauz. Nice looking aluminum pieces. However...

Some of the holes in the bushes are a bit too small for the eccentric bolts to fit through.

I was able to fit the bolts by using my bushing reamer tool kit. Mine is from Harbour Freight. I highly recommend having one on hand when doing this job.

Cheers

#11 ·
And yet another one....

The replacement links were Mehle, purchased from Autohauz. Nice looking aluminum pieces. However...

Some of the holes in the bushes are a bit too small for the eccentric bolts to fit through.

I was able to fit the bolts by using my bushing reamer tool kit. Mine is from Harbour Freight. I highly recommend having one on hand when doing this job.

Cheers

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.