Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help! C140 owners, please take a look and respond

5K views 38 replies 7 participants last post by  Steve_B 
#1 · (Edited)
OK, I am starting another thread, as my other one did not produce the results I was hoping for:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2672234-help-needed-coupe-parts-numbers.html

Coupe owners, please take a look at these pictures, check your car and let me know if I am missing a trim piece. I think I do, but my both sides are the same...

If you can, please also provide the part number(s) -- I guarantee that I am not trying to annoy anyone, I searched and searched, but could not find anything.

Many thanks in advance,
Steve

#3 ·
The part that covers the hole in the second picture is made on to the front of the outer lower rubber quarter molding weatherstrip. The driver's side is part number A140 670 07 38 and the passenger side is A140 670 08 38. It appears that on your coupe, the front of the weatherstrip has either been cut off or has broken off cleanly.

#7 ·
The letter designation isn't critical for specifying the part.

I've had the best results when Googling MB part numbers by just using the part number with no prefix (letter) and no spaces, e.g., 1234101053 and including the term "mercedes".

Also, while it's far from perfect, MB of South Atlanta has a version of the EPC online you can use to try and identify parts and part numbers. Do realize that stuff like weatherstrip on a coupe can be really tricky to identify because of the group it's in.

Mercedes-Benz Parts and Accessories Online from Mercedes-Benz of South Atlanta

Dan

#12 ·
Well the EPC on my SDS, calls the piece you originally asked about an Ornamental Cover, part numbers A 140 673 01 38. 3rd number ranges from 01, 02, 03, and 04.

01 and 03 for left, 02 and 04 for right.

01 and 03 are up to ident. number A182625. 02 and 04 are as of ident. number A182626.

#13 · (Edited)
Well the EPC on my SDS, calls the piece you originally asked about an Ornamental Cover, part numbers A 140 673 01 38. 3rd number ranges from 01, 02, 03, and 04.

01 and 03 for left, 02 and 04 for right.

01 and 03 are up to ident. number A182625. 02 and 04 are as of ident. number A182626.
Oh boy. We were not discussing those trim pieces. The question was about the seal or whatever they are called in the front fenders.

Please check here for pictures, post #1 and #2

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/2672234-help-needed-coupe-parts-numbers.html

Thank you,
Steve

#15 ·
Alright, can't say I'm too confidant about my results, but I've attached a picture of my car in hopes that you can point me in the right direction if I'm wrong.

There is a soft rubber seal more towards the computer box, it's just above that leaf (which I soon tossed out after taking the picture of course). Mine's gunky and has leaves stuck in it. That part is called a seal when I looked up the front fender diagram on both the S500 and S600. Interestingly, A140 821 09 98 is the part listed in my EPC as the exact seal and is actually a part that supersedes A140 889 03 98 which I'm guessing is an earlier part. My S500 doesn't have this case of superseding.

Here's where I'm unsure, you mention that 09 89 is not the part you're looking for. So in my S500 Coupe I noted a large plastic, what I'd call channel right below the seal and along the fender. In the post you asked me to look at, I noticed you don't have this strip of plastic. In my picture the small leaf is sitting atop this piece of plastic.

Is this plastic channel what you're really after? If it is, I can't find it in my EPC for either the S500 or S600.

Attachments

#16 ·
My coupe looks just like thisisntchris87's on both sides. If there is a long thin seal that's supposed to be there, #2 in the diagram, my car is missing it on both sides. The seal that Chris_B received is what I would call a hood side bumper. Both sides on my car need replaced, as the foam has deteriorated badly.

Attachments

#17 · (Edited)
My coupe looks just like thisisntchris87's on both sides. If there is a long thin seal that's supposed to be there, [URL=http://www.benzworld.org/forums/usertag.php?do=list&action=hash&hash=2]#2 [/URL] in the diagram, my car is missing it on both sides. The seal that Chris_B received is what I would call a hood side bumper. Both sides on my car need replaced, as the foam has deteriorated badly.
OK, let's try one more time.
This picture has everything -- it shows the foam piece, which is the same for both left and right. Mine will be replaced as well -- it is also rotten completely.

Now, the arrows point at what we are after. My car is a early production coupe.
If you guys do not have it from the factory, that explains everything -- this was fitted early in the game, and later, the bean-counters at the MB management team decided to save a few pennies. Although, I am sure the part diagrams will at least show it (yes, the diagram that has the picture of the piece I am looking for, attached to one of my earlier posts and showing it as item #2 seems to be correct, but that item obviously is not p/n 1408210998)

If this is not the case and you two guys are not the original owners, I am willing to bet that those rubbery plates have "decomposed" and have been removed by attentive previous owner and/or dealers.

Does anyone else, coupe or a sedan owner cares to join this conversation?

Thank you,
Steve

Attachments

#19 ·
Alright, Steve, I'm on the same page now, sorry about the run around. Thanks to the side by side, yes I can see what you're after. I'm not the original owner, I'm the 3rd and I just assumed this is how my finders looked.

Anyway, the diagram floating around on this topic with the red highlighted part labeled 2 is not in my EPC and for the life of me I can't find it in my official sources. The diagram used for the front finder in my EPC is the same as what Mercedes Benz of South Atlanta has up on their web based EPC. Attached is the exact EPC diagram I see and appears to have replaced the one in this topic.

Attachments

#20 ·
Gentlemen, this is one of the reasons I do not help people look up parts as the system does not list all the parts, but this part must come when you buy a fender from Mercedes. This is common:

+96 W140's one cannot buy just the outside mirror seal, yet one has to buy the whole mirror assembly to the tune of $800 or so

Buy half the ball bearings on a 722.6 as the others come with assemblies..

Pump bearing on any of these transmissions. One has to buy the WHOLE front pump...

Transmission odometer plug on older transmissions is not available, but one has to buy the whole tail cone assembly to get the plug.

Just go to the junk yard you will find plenty there..

Happy hunting,

Martin

#21 · (Edited)
Just go to the junk yard you will find plenty there..

Happy hunting,

Martin
I beg to disagree Martin. First, how many coupes do you have in the junkyards near you?
And second (more important), old rubber exposed to the elements for 20+ years? Would you go for that, seriously?

Steve

PS BTW, thank you for confirming my suspicion that what I am looking for is not available as an individual part from MB

#25 ·
Whelp Steve, for those pair of numbers you gave me from Atlanta:

03 38 is up to ident. A182625 and is outside left
04 38 is up to ident. A182625 and is outside right

07 38 is as of ident. A182626 and is outside left
08 38 is as of ident. A182626 and is outside right

Now, 01 38 was replaced by 03 38 and 02 38 was replaced by 04 38. No dates on anything, just the "up to" and "as of" stuff.

Hope this is useful and I think it's proof enough for me that Atlanta has the correct information and is simply truncating any part numbers that were replaced.

#26 · (Edited)
OK, I am starting another thread, as my other one did not produce the results I was hoping for:

Coupe owners, please take a look at these pictures, check your car and let me know if I am missing a trim piece. I think I do, but my both sides are the same...

If you can, please also provide the part number(s) -- I guarantee that I am not trying to annoy anyone, I searched and searched, but could not find anything.

Many thanks in advance,
Steve
It took me half an year to find the trim pieces. Some coupe parts are very, very hard to find. I didn't want to splurge on a brand-new piece because it would have made the rest of the rubber look REALLY old.

No doubt, really creative work by the PO.

Many thanks to thisisntchris87 and 95Scoupe for helping me to sort this out and apologies to Martin, again, for asking dumb and annoying questions (I am still hunting for those fender liners BTW).

Best regards,
Steve

Attachments

#27 · (Edited)
I suppose sedans are the same, but I will post my question here, hoping someone can snap a picture and help me with the proper layout of the rubber seal that goes from the top to the bottom of the windshield (on both sides) and then either goes over or under the plastic trim for the wiper mechanism right at the corner, where the fender begins.

I am sorry, I don't know how to describe it better, picture is attached.

Many thanks for your help,
Steve

Attachments

#32 · (Edited)
I did take a close look Steve. Here's the picture.
I played with it today, but the rubber apparently has been permanently deformed by sitting in the wrong position for way too long.
If I get it out of the fender "lip" and to cover the plastic over the windshield, it is wrinkled and somewhat wobbly

To get the same smooth-running seal, I suppose, I will have to buy new rubber.

Best regards and many thanks for the help,
Steve

#34 · (Edited)
I will post my new question here, in this old thread, because the subject is close enough although sedan owners might be able to help as well.

1. The two holes picture below. What are these for?

View attachment 2250337

2. The gap between the A-pillar trim and the dash (pictured below) seems uncharacteristic of MB, and the S-classe in particular.
Am I missing something there?

View attachment 2250329

Pictures from other cars will be very helpful.

Many thanks in advance,
Steve

#36 · (Edited)
1. The two holes picture below. What are these for?

Bump....anyone? This should be easy....

I'd like to reconnect everything electric in the center console and the shifter, as I need to move the car out of the garage.

Are those two hole another example of the creativity of the PO (all wiring for his aftermarket stereo and GPS is now removed and original harness repaired)?

Or something is meant to be attached there?

Thanks,
Steve

#35 · (Edited)
Steve_B said:
2. The gap between the A-pillar trim and the dash (pictured below) seems uncharacteristic of MB, and the S-classe in particular.
Am I missing something there?

Pictures from other cars will be very helpful.
I think I can answer my second question. This large of a gap is NOT normal. Found some pictures on this forum:

and

Does anyone know how to close the gap? There must be a way to re-position the A-pillar trim I suppose...?

Thanks,
Steve

#39 · (Edited)
As far as you a pillar trim goes, its held in place by clips along the perimeter, but they are now 20+ years old as is the foam substrate, so screw with it at your peril.
Hi Greg:
Many thanks. What can I say -- I wish you had spoken earlier.... :-((

The truth is, I was impatient and pulled the trim on Sunday. Not an easy thing to do, as lots of other things had to go out beforehand.

Regrettably, it was a huge waste of time. Call it beginners luck, plastic held up and no clips were broken, but I found no room for adjustment, and sadly, the gap is still there.

Wouldn't recommend it to anyone, perhaps one needs to be very experienced to get it right (and it wasn't right to begin with because my windshield turned out to have been replaced at some point).

Best regards,
Steve

PS Thanks for the pointer regarding the rubber thingies in the center console. Getting an answer wasn't very easy, I suppose sourcing OE items will be impossible, trip to the AZ tomorrow..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.