Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1996 Mercedes S600 coupe,transmission fail so its for sale

4K views 21 replies 12 participants last post by  Blast4me 
#1 ·
My V12 coupe has been a joy to own and drive for 2-1/2 yrs. Its 5 spd 722.6 transmission has failed-- leaking fluid, still shifts all gears. Unfortunately I cannot keep it going. So, car is for sale for $2,000. 134k, used often. Rust free, good tires-- been maintained and used as a 'driver'. Car is in Eugene Oregon. Email if seriously interested, will give you more details.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Stevee

Did you contact Sun Valley to see what their charge is for a reman, warranted, bench tested transmission is? Certainly less than a replacement car will be.

I'll be in Corvallis later this year, but I'm fairly certain the car will either be repaired, best case for you, or gone.

Jayare

Edit - Sun Valley wants $2500 for a fully rebuilt w/torque converter, 2 yr unlimited mileage trans, excluding core charge (refundable) and installation. I figure you'd be under 4K all in. What are you going to get for that kind of money? Easy math says you'd have a $125.00 per month car payment for 2 years...Something to think about.....

#6 · (Edited)
Mava has this SL500 that has been kicking his ass-I have too many cars... Yaaayaa-Im only 8hrs away

Stevee,

If you are leaking, it is either the transmission electrical connector, shifter bushing, or Interlock. Not difficult? The front or rear seal is a pain to replace..

I'd put W220 S500 internals as W220 tranny can be found for a few hundred..

Martin

#8 ·
Yeah , unbelievable how cheap they go over there .
I paid close to $7000 just to install the engine into mine , go figure....
.:thumbsup:

#12 · (Edited)
Yeah , unbelievable how cheap they go over there .
I paid close to $7000 just to install the engine into mine , go figure....
.:thumbsup:
damn you US guys with cars like this for that money!
Gentlemen,

This is strictly my opinion. I mean my opinion...

I am from the "Generation X" (born in the 60's) from my observation I got caught in the tail-end of DIY generation of "Baby Boomers" here in the USA where my generation fixed everything(the documentation/literature then was scarce), and my generation continues to DIY for the most part because we know how to do it. Have the inclination, and sadly many of us do not have cushy-union jobs that pay a large pension/large retirements, so many have to make our dollars stretch because we have to, and we can too(by figuring things out).

The new generations just come from fragmented homes. The male figure is gone, and they cannot function if the device does not have batteries, so they just do not have the hand-skills that naturally came from my generation, so they do not know what some basic hand tools are, so this really de-multiplies the intuitive/ curiosity for why things fail(or work); The item just gets tossed-out, so we have "all this waste" here in the USA... Yet..... on YouTube one can do anything your heart's desire, yet no one really fixes anything. I would have "killed" to have the Internet in the 70's for information.

We all have reasons for our actions of a disposal of an item....

Have the the "Grit" to punch-through to figure things out..

That is how it works here in the USA,

Martin

#10 ·
Stevee,
Here is a suggestion. Contact Sun Valley (or MAVA) and flatbed your coupe to either. Have them do the installation (or repair), fly down to Burbank (very close to Sun Valley) or Las Vegas and drive it home. You get a "new" car, as vacation and another 100K out of your CL.
Anziani

#15 ·
Martin-true, but I was born in '59, have the skills (maintained and raced Porsches for years) but lost my shop and lift in my divorce. Now I don't have a decent place to do a trans swap-so I do fluid changes, and stuff that I can do sans lift, but honestly wouldn't attempt what you do despite ultimately having the skills. My garage is too small, just a really nice carport that is big enough.

Point being that while I generally agree with your thinking, it is a generalization. We know nothing about the op's situation. He might live in a condo with no good place to work. While I agree that it is foolish not to spend 3k or so on a trans for one of these cars (its an EXPECTED wear item in my thinking with the V12's) your comments were about DIY. So, yeah, I get where your going. But these durn kids that know how to tune turbo cars etc with laptops are a step ahead of me and my ability to swing a wrench around.

Guys like you and Steve (the other one, on the East Coast) are exceptional.

#16 · (Edited)
Basically, the hunger to fix things is not what it used to, and this was not pointed at Stevee, nor you. It is the USA has so much waste, and it is everywhere, and country like Cuba can maintain these old American 50's cars with no parts. It is how much fire is under your butt to get it done...
Life is full inconveniences as I always say to my customers, and they are no different for me as they are for others.

I used to walk a handful of miles for free Balsa Wood when I was a tween, so I can make my own flying models, yet you show a kid a small model plane, but you have to walk five miles to get the wood "to make it". They will just say "no thanks"(I would salivate at the mouth to go in the dumpster to get free balsa wood). I just like many others had that drive. I still do. Like your first date, one moves "heaven and earth" to make it happen... Maybe I'm not sitting on pot of gold, and that is what drives me...

Anyways, the USA is very wasteful. I grew up not having a lot, but the kids in my town were always making stuff, and we knew who did what. If our MiniBikes(small motorcycle frame bike with a lawn-mower engine) broke down, and it was out of our scope we knew the welders, and who could get us cheap engine parts in the town of few square miles. Most of the time we got it for free, and the not so free times here we go collecting cans and bottles at 5am or 6am...

Martin

#17 ·
Here the local car industry is subsidized and further protected with taxes on imported cars. All it does it drive new car prices sky high with flow on effect to all used cars. Also fuel is not cheap. Hyundai and Mazda are both very popular here with their fuel efficient and cheap to buy small new cars. Sad in a way, because otherwise people would be able to afford safer cars, which is why I turned to the W140 in the 1st place, it's safer than anything else I can afford.

In AUD a S500 in the 90's was ~$270,000 and CL600 almost $400,000, so the cars here are very rare. Even with a 70 US cents to the AUD conversion the prices here are high.

Apart from that, where else do you get a ~400hp 6.0L Quad cam V12 engine in a car? What is the next alternative is the USA?

Also my comments are to talk up the OP's car. $2,000 for that is a steal no matter how you cut it IMHO.

Off topic: Martins comments are interesting. The broken-home-no-father-figure is becoming a real factor adding to the throwaway mentality of society. Everything, even marriage is throwaway.

#18 ·
Joe,

What we do not pay on the front-end. We pay for it on the back-end. Fee-This-Fee-That, and so....on... I got to go to college when it was really free. The state recreational parks were free, and parking at the beach was free to fly my model plane off the cliffs. Now beach parking is $1.00 for 15min what are you going to do in 15min. Now those stupid meters "take plastic"(for your convenience-What-In-F-is going on), yet twice a year(our elections) voting it is Bond this Bond that...F-this(MAVA does not vote for any bonds :grin), what happened to all the money from the meters :( Oh, the schools always need a bond every year), yet this kids cannot even boil water let alone tell you what a philips-screwdriver is. About a 1/3 of these 90's Mercedes are there at the junk yard because of tranny limp mode-why, no patience, no drive to figure things out - very vicious cycle. One(I wonder why a perfect car is there) wonder why....:rolleyes:

I almost became a teacher. I went a 1/3 of the way up, and my child development teacher said "have mercy on the USA when these new generations start having kids from these broken homes" -short fused -no patience -not willing to discover -no shame . We get all these kids talking back to teacher and elders(you remember the days someone would say "good morning" on the street- now the Mother-F**Kers tuck their head down). California is the "Road Rage Capital of the world", so keep you feelings to your self, or you will be shot. It is sad...

The reality is you get in a fight in another country you wake-up sore and bloody, but here you get shot as everyone is trigger happy paranoid.

This is the reason MAVA is the way he is on this forum. You encounter me on the street I will say "good morning"/"good afternoon". For those of you I have talked with on the phone that have called me I will always say that with my name not just "hello"

Lastly Joe, I'd love to have a four-place(four seating) Sedan over a Coupe as go to lots events, and people sit in the back-sadly I cannot do that with a coupe, and these events are some birth day party of her or him, or graduation. What do you know - Such and such is divorced.. I went to high school graduation, and I want to say 1/4 to 1/3 of the kids were missing a parent. This is typical for a metropolitan city in the USA.

It is a vicious cycle...

Martin

#20 ·
Glad you are back Steve? How was China? Time to put that M120 on the road...

Yea, these kids want newest, and the best-Ahh most of them do not know that yet...

Yes, nothing else matters.

I hope Stevee sells his car, or fixes is as it is a deal in my book.

Martin

#21 · (Edited)
Glad you are back Steve? How was China? Time to put that M120 on the road...
Hi Martin:
China, Taiwan, Hong Kong -- it was an eye-opening experience for me, but subject to another thread.
I will just say -- A MUST SEE for everyone!

Happy to be back. I will be working hard on my car over the next 2-3 weeks. It has been a long battle to put it back on the road, and I felt very bad yesterday when I found out that over the last 5 weeks the battery was discharged completely (had less than 2V).

I am suffering from a terrible jet lag and could not sleep. Spent some time pocking around with the DVM. Nothing suspicious. Measured current draw -- only 40 mA. This cannot be the reason a battery of the group H8 size (over 100 A.h capacity) will be depleted over 35 days (35 x 24 hours x 0.04 A = 34 A.h)

I will likely start a new topic.

Best regards,
Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.