Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Distributor consensus, Beru or Bosch?

3K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  thisisntchris87 
#1 ·
I'm going to be purchasing new caps, rotors, and the dust covers for my Coupe. I'm doing this because of a lingering issue with idling and stalling issues that I'm fairly certain is caused by moisture or this odd oily substance in the caps that doesn't look like engine oil, nor does it have the same constancy. The caps and rotors were last replaced in 09/2013 and I've already had them off and noted corrosion (along with this oily coating). Further, I have no record of the dust covers being replaced and from another post (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/10725178-post45.html) I'm suspecting if this oily substance is leaching from the old covers. I hope I'm on the right path because when I get this terrible idling and then outright stalling issue, I'm smelling rotten eggs, which by my understanding is unburnt fuel in the cats.

Back to the point of this post.

Which brand does BenzWorld prefer? Beru or Bosch? I'm aware of a post that was made last month or so, about the quality of Bosch caps, but I've also heard to avoid Beru caps. Pelican parts also has Bremi, so what about them? I'd prefer Bosch since I understand that they're as close to OEM without paying for the crazy prices (besides that, Bosch is plastered over many electronics and parts on my car anyway). However, I want my car fixed and if Bosch isn't the way to go..... See my reason for asking? :|

See less See more
#2 ·
I was doing some research on this and then pricing. I ended up with the Bosch parts for two different engines and everything seemed fine, good quality parts. I came across one set of Beru wires and the price was outrageous, I passed. I found the Beru hard to come across and don't know anything about Bremi. Beru wires where removed from both engines and appear to have good quality, but Bosch was everything else that I was replacing - I am happy with the purchases.
One thing to note about the Bosh (or perhaps any other) is observe what style rotor and distributor cap - specifically the center electrode as I understand there where two differenced with either the rotor electrode having a round surface which was raised, or an indent with a circular/hollow style. This may be year/engine model specific, but I would just verify what you have before ordering....there are different part numbers!

Lastly, when you remove the rotor and backing covers....there is a seal that is pressed into the head for the distributor shaft, make sure that is pliable and in good shape, maybe some oil was seeping past this in your engine to cause the residue?

Isn't this fun?

chris

#3 ·
I doubt the seals are not in good shape, as I have no visible record of them being changed. The residue was oily, but it was amber in color and I know my engine oil is darker than that (planning to do an oil change too).

Now this seal against the distributor shaft, is it the dust covers I'm planning to change or something else? Is there a part number for it?

Anyone else have an opinion? I'd really like it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.