Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1995 s320 transmission problems

4K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  bouzouki 
#1 ·
Hey guys, I have a 95 s320. its got about 165K miles on it. The transmission cooling lines blew. I took it to the mechanic and he just changed the transmission lines and told me I'm good. I should have known better. Soon after, the transmission lines blew again. took it back to the mechanic and now he tells me that my radiator is shot and thats what caused the transmission problem. He told me me that the separation between the transmission cooler part and the radiator part deteriorated and supposedly i have transmission fluid in my engine and antifreeze in my transmission. I don't know what to do anymore. i know the cost of a rebuilt/used tranny and both options aren't good for me. going the rebuilt way, ill be spending over 3500, easily the down payment for a newer car. used tranny is definately cheaper but no guarantees...any advise would be really appreciated. thank you.

Laz

#2 ·
Just because you had antifreeze in the trans doesn't mean is completely dead.
You can either replace the radiator, or you can have your mechanic install an aux radiator for the transmission to cool and install it behind the engine radiator(I have one installed inline with the stock cooler). It is not ideal to install it behind but it is impossible to install a cooler in front of the radiator because the a/c fans are in the way.

My advise would be to drain the fluid completely in your transmission and add new fluid. Get an aux cooler installed (they cost less than $50) and see how the car drives.
It is possible your transmission is still salvageable...maybe

#3 ·
Laz,

The best thing you can do is replace your radiator. I would service your whole cooling with a few flushes of distilled water. Replace the recovery tank cap, and thermostat( on the S320 it is a super easy)

For the transmission, replace the filter, and put new fluid in the pan. Then do a fluid exchange, and pass about five gallons of Dexron II/III fluid(any brand of fluid). This is how a fluid exchange is done:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1670718-what-my-transmission-fluid.html#post5406277

This is not a power flush as we are not forcing the fluid out, but letting the transmission pump it out. This will get nearly 100% of fluid out, and exchange it with new fluid... The faster(time wise-meaning not letting the car sit in this condition) you do this the better chances no harm will come to your transmission...

All the best,

Martin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.