Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Final decisions on an M120 preventative service

3K views 31 replies 9 participants last post by  Josh 
#1 · (Edited)
Thank you to all of you who have helped me with this magnificent car.

For less than the price of a very used Subaru I have a 1998 M120 with new transmission, black on cream leather. One lady owner from new. Always garaged before me! And she is soon to be back on the road and out of hibernation:-

Firstly, special thanks to MAVA for viewing the car (and other 140 options) twice before I bought it - this is the one he recommended. As a result it did over 10,000 miles in 3 months and did not miss a beat. Nada...

Thanks to Stryker, Merc S600 and JoeT for all encouraging me to go ahead and not worry, and helping me.

So this thread is to ask, given all our collective knowledge, and particularly knowing how regrettable it can be if you miss something important on an M120 what else should I do before I pick her up in a week or two's time:-

So far the preventative and routine maintenance since I bought her has been as follows:-

- new Metal TT and all associated hoses, coolant flush with MB etc,
- new diff fluid
- sunroof lube
- AC check - all fine
- Air filters check no need, look like new
- new battery (my fault I left the music on all night)
- new brake pads front and rear with sensors
- transmission totally done

And about to go in:-

- Fuel pressure regulator (just to be safe)
- fuel filter (been sitting for 7 months with low gas - my fault)
- radiator valve drain plug
- coolant cap for overflow tank
- little T hose goes to over flow tank that T's into the radiator

And have been checked:-
- Thermostat works fine, oil pan sub gasket tightened stopped a tiny drip, suspension fluid is fine, rotors are fine,

Oh one thing that does not work - infra red door locking, even though the central locking works with the key, the button does not work - battery or infra red device bust? How best to address?

OK folks any final advice before I pick her up and drive her all over North America would be much appreciated. I just don't want to get stranded by something that is like oh God why didn't I do that obvious thing...

Tech says car has ZERO codes and runs smooth as silk.

Thank you everyone. :angel

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Thanks Joe - are there two or one fuel pumps on the W140.

And if I don't replace it and it goes on me, how bad is the consequential failure? (irrespective of the inconvenience)

Put more simply if the fuel pump craps out am I at risk of damaging other possibly very expensive parts?

Thanks.

#8 ·
EPC shows two fuel pumps, but I can't be certain.

The Bosch replacement should be fine (assuming it's not the OE in this case anyway), but if the OE is within the same price range, get that instead.

#9 ·
Martin had the pump die on his 500, car stopped in its tracks. I think if the pump was low on pressure the knock sensors/adaption would pick up on it pretty quick, so low risk of damage unlike on a turbo car.

Bosch FRP is what I have on my S600 and have for the S420 now. I think you'll find Bosch is the OEM suppler.

Early have two pumps, late have one (looking at my EPC), not sure of the year change.

#10 ·
Richard,
Didn't pick up on the year or the mileage but I also am a new 120 owner. The first thing we did was jump on the "wye" fitting. Well after 17 years and 50K it was as perfect as new. HOWEVER the hoses feeding it were all crap. So yes, change the fitting (we tried to demolish mine with a hammer and got no where.) but also the hoses. I put in a plastic replacement as the first lasted 17 years. There is a procedure to check the batteries in your IR opener. It's in the manual. Mine was superglued shut (?) and I have to get a new one. Somewhere recently I found out that Mercedes supplied the replacement cells and apparently they are a higher voltage than the ones you buy at Walgreens. If you need batteries, I would suggest you go to the parts counter at your local Benz dealer.
You might want to tuck away in the trunk a couple of coils. I had one go bad on me and I'm planning to replace them all eventually. Found the best pricing for Bosch replacement coils at Amazon.com! After owning my "black beast" for 4 months now, I can see why these are the king of the heap and there is nothing too mysterious about the engine. As our Aussie friends say, they are pretty easy to work on (if you have long thin Italian fingers!) A downside?, the gas mileage.
Anziani

#11 ·
Anziani, you're driving around in a monarch's car and you're complaining about gas mileage?

Let's see: if you had a new Toyota Prius, you would get 60-miles to the gallon, maybe, versus 15 mpg you get with your flagship ride.

Say you drive an average of 300 miles per week. That means you would use 20-gallons per week in your Benz, vs only 5 gallons in the new Prius.

Let's say gas is $5/gallon.

You save $75 per week.

In a year, you would save roughly $3900.

Save that for 10-years, and I say you don't think high enough about yourself to have at least something in your life that excels. But guess what? You'll be able to buy another Prius with the savings. And condem yourself to another sentence of mediocrity.

Life comes around only once. Grab it with both hands. You'll regret it if you don't when you're in the nursing home.

End of lesson.

#13 ·
The car looks great Rich! I think a fresh fuel pump would be overkill, but now I have called the devil's name. In my experience you will get notice before the pump dies, in stalling and hesitation.

As for fuel mileage, my latest orphan 600 averaged 24 mpg on the 2400+ mile delivery trip. Mind you, that was on the highway and steady @ 60 MPH. For me the urban driving mileage is inconsequential, as my work truck is an F350 and that thing burns fuel like pouring it on the road. Makes the 600 look economical.

#14 · (Edited)
Holy shit. You actually bought a 600. Never thought I'd see the day. But it's a sedan. What's up with that? :) Congratulations and enjoy!!! I knew I'd find something interesting if I dropped in this evening.

Your car has 1 fuel pump.

Less common things maybe... Change fuel filter. Brake fluid flush. Check transmission control module for transmission fluid intrusion. Change the "pilot bearing" on the connector on the transmission to help discourage transmission fluid from leaving the transmission and making its way to the control module. Check and maybe preventatively replace the intake elbows between the throttle bodies and airboxes. They get brittle and split allowing vacuum leaks. Change all brittle plastic vacuum hoses. Fan clutch.

Brett

#15 ·
Yeah Brett - I bought that last year! And now have it sorted, eve though it did 10,000 miles straight off when I bought it without missing a beat - these 1 ladyowner cars...!

Anyway, all new trannie is in and done so that pilot bearing is good (as that is what failed - good call, buddy!), OE fuel filter coming and brake fluid done. I will look into the intake elbows and vacuum hoses - great idea; thanks. Fan clutch and fuel pump can wait as they are all good and no massive consequential failure risk if they fail unlike fuel pressure regulator. And yes sedan, but M120 coupe lined up :)

Anziani - thank you Sir, hope to see your coupe in person when I drive past some time :) Mine is a 1998 and the gas mileage has not been too bad around 18 mpg if I don't thrash it. But so far this has been the cheapest car to own I've had...

Rupununipete - great post buddy. That is a car I have long been interested in. What tires are on it? Is it still the Sumitomo's? I m buying tires today and deciding between those outrageous Sumitomos for very technical reasons or going with Goodyear's equivalent of the Michelins. I have my reasons now for not trusting the crazy high end Michelins. So the more information you can give me the better? Are they loud? Are they quiet? how is the ride? Have they worn badly?

Joe - new reg on the alternator? Sounds a very good idea. Could not find that on my AZ Autohaus. Do you have a part number or a fuller description so I can see if I can find it on AZ Autohaus?

Many thanks guys... final parts being delivered to the car in Tuesday from MB USA - fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter, T hose (only 2 left in USA) , coolant cap and radiator drain red cap.

So now I just need to replace 2 tires or go all 4 with the Sumitomos that Eric had so much success with in his and now Rupununipete's S600 - 24 mpg????

#16 ·
Yes Rich, 24 mpg, but at 60 MPH. I could never drive that far at that speed. I would lose it and be back to driving on the edge of a speeding ticket before long, mileage be damned.
I have no idea regarding the Sumitomo tires as I only drove it a few miles before bringing it into the shop for an inspection.

#17 ·
Stryker,
I was NOT complaining about the gas mileage. I only mentioned that it might be a downside. At my age I don't care about mileage costs. And after driving a CL500 for a couple of years the Cl600 is just a little more costly. But you really insulted me when you said "if I had a Prius!" :eek I would rather be driving a Yugo than that piece of____. And I'm sure the liberals on this forum will jump all over me but I live next to Palm Springs with a large homosexual constituency. The "Prius" is the flagship of the gays, especially if it is blue and you are holding a small drop kick dog in your lap. :rolleyes:
My CL600 is the end of the line for me. It is magnificent, everything works and I make up reasons to drive it somewhere, anywhere. I always stop and look back at that magnificent black coupe in awe! :bowdown:
Anziani

#18 ·
Stryker,
The "Prius" is the flagship of the gays, especially if it is blue and you are holding a small drop kick dog in your lap. :rolleyes:
My CL600 is the end of the line for me. It is magnificent, everything works and I make up reasons to drive it somewhere, anywhere. I always stop and look back at that magnificent black coupe in awe! :bowdown:
Anziani
Drop kick dog - OMG - I laughed out loud so hard my German Shepherd looked at me as if to say, "steady".

German Shepherd vs. lap top dog

Hmmn, bit like

M120 vs. thubarooow (Subaru) (or replace with Prius)

One significant advantage of the Shepherd over the M120 is they don't destroy the climate, but my car will soon all be climate neutral :grin

How many of you would be interested in having your M119 and M120's genuinely climate neutral? I may set up a side business to that effect... :angel

#19 ·
I was driven in a Prius once. After the yoga contortions necessary to fit in the front seat, I asked the driver to stop.

Without much fuss I ripped out the front seat and sat in the back so I had enough leg room.

The remainder of the journey was tolerable.

My German Shepherd later crapped in it as a noble gesture of aesthetic disapproval.

Of course, don't get me wrong, we love its positive climate effects though - but aesthetically my dog had it right, for a Prius makes Schoenberg sound good. Intellectually correct just the same, but similarly only half the meal.

#20 ·
Drop kick dog, too funny.

Well at least these people aren't claiming to save the environment by driving fully electric cars (coal powered in my part of the world). I am still amazed at the number of educated knuckleheads there are, that don't know where their electricity comes from. (The socket on the wall, stupid!)

#21 · (Edited)
Inspect your rear rubber brake lines leaving the car-The lines like crack right below the compression fitting to the rubber. If yours are cracked, you will need to replace the lines. Right at that time, I would flush out the the old brake fluid of each line. The obvious is to inspect the brake pads since you are there...

I had to do it to the Basket-Case 95 S500 Coupe.. I'm working on a 2002 CLK55 AMG with 130k miles right now, and this car needed new brake fluid...

On this AMG, someone(maybe even the factory) did not put enough grease in the wheels(no grease on the caps). How did I know that. Grease on these cars has to be applied to bearing caps also... As you can see from G-AMG wheel bearing DIY...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1675760-photo-diy-m-front-bearing-r.html

In my case with the AMG, the bearings are shot, and the Mercedes grease tubes add-up, so the only place that sells the Renolit LX PEP 2 grease in large tubes are these guys for the price of one little Mercedes little tube:

Wheel Bearing Grease - Mercedes Green Grease [0029890051400] - $9.75 : Eurotruck Importers, Your source for Mercedes-Benz off-road vehicles and spare parts!

FYI..Check your play of your Wheels/bearings first before doing any kind of suspension work. Ahh check you air in your tires too :wink

All the best,

Martin

#22 · (Edited)
Inspect your rear rubber brake lines leaving the car-The lines like crack right below the compression fitting to the rubber. If yours are cracked, you will need to replace the lines. Right at that time, I would flush out the the old brake fluid of each line. The obvious is to inspect the brake pads since you are there...

On this AMG, someone(maybe even the factory) did not put enough grease in the wheels(no grease on the caps). How did I know that. Grease on these cars has to be applied to bearing caps also... As you can see from G-AMG wheel bearing DIY...

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w210-e-class/1675760-photo-diy-m-front-bearing-r.html

In my case with the AMG, the bearings are shot, and the Mercedes grease tubes add-up, so the only place that sells the Renolit LX PEP 2 grease in large tubes are these guys for the price of one little Mercedes little tube:

Wheel Bearing Grease - Mercedes Green Grease [0029890051400] - $9.75 : Eurotruck Importers, Your source for Mercedes-Benz off-road vehicles and spare parts!

FYI..Check your play of your Wheels/bearings first before doing any kind of suspension work. Ahh check you air in your tires too :wink

All the best,

Martin
Martine!!!

- thanks for all your help buddy. You helped me get the deal of the century! Feels good to have a sedan and a coupe both with new transmissions and because of your help both are now in great shape and getting there, respectively.

I think we have done pretty much everything on your original list now for the M120 sedan. The brake pads have been changed front and rear (rotors were good), so I trust the fluid as replaced or at least checked, I will double check Monday.

The only things I have left to ask them to check is all the vacuum lines for age related decay (cracking etc.) and may replace all the fuses with OE. Or at least get a spare set for the car.

Oh shute, I forgot the glove box still needs opening :) But I may leave that for an MB dealer, but on a fixed price quote.

FYI - we have done no suspension work as the tech says it needs nothing, but yours and my standards may be different on that one, but for now I'm certainly not going to worry about that. It even rode fine on those 35 profile tires you test drove it with...

Now it has stock Michelins, but they are not as good as I like...

All I want to work out how to do now is safely wire in an AC outlet??

Anyway, thanks again man - you are a real asset to this forum. :angel

Attachments

#24 ·
Richard ,With that car you got there you definitely living in the wrong country .
Do you ever go in convoys around for a drive with friends etc , well here we are way overdue for one , park this car on the 1st ship & common over for a drive ,lol.
Yes it would be nice if possible .Cant they build a bridge from the top of Australia that leads directly to the USA .
I guess all of us here would be on that highway day & night ,lol..
Absolutely Stunning W140 you got there , almost as nice as mine ,lol.:thumbsup:

#27 ·
Ah, Dogs & M120's....

OK, time for some pics of both then :grin

Attachments

#31 ·
Sure if you can get here in time you can have it - its now 2 hours away from midnight. tick tock... :devil

And I'll give you a small clue, you'd need a private plane to get to where I am now.

But if you can find me before midnight, she's yours! (and you'd have to only pay for the steering wheel!)

PS - I charge 12k for the steering wheel :eek

#32 ·
Hah! I missed this. Was outside in the backyard enjoying a little fire I built and the cooling temps.

You know, I'm torn on the whole steering wheel thing! I'd love the smaller, more luxurious wheel with the wood, but at the same time I really love the humongous wheel I have now.

I guess I'll have to prepare my executive jet for tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.