Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

CD player info ? 1993 400 sel

6K views 12 replies 3 participants last post by  Merc-S600 
#1 ·
New owner of a 93 400 sel , just had Becker rebuild the receiver they did a great job with fast turnaround, then repaired the Hirshman mask drive broken gear dog, 1992-1993 W- 140 CD 6 changer, Is any other year compatible ? Looks like there is a harness in the trunk next to the receiver not sure if this is for CD or do i need the Harness with purchase to plug and play ? TIA

#2 ·
It depends.

You have either a rectangular plug that looks like the one going into the back of the radio, or there's an adapter harness plugged into that with a round DIN style connector, which is the one that plugs into the CD changer.

I happen to have a CD changer out of a 1994 W140 if you're looking for one. Drop me a PM if you're interested.

Dan

#4 ·
Follow up . (all threads should have a conclusion) 91-93 Mercedes used a Becker 1432 Receiver and 980 CD changer,, this combo will not interchange with a later model 1994 and up,....But Becker makes a adapter for the Alpine CHM 620..that can be purchased for as low as 15 bucks on ebay..the harness from Becker is about $ 250 for Data cables and all but it appears the Alpine is a easy find ..that you can just Toss the Danm thing in the Trash and find 10 more instead of pulling your hair out!!! lol oh i answered my own question again as the Thread stater ..hate when that happens :wink

#5 · (Edited)
Congrats on the car .
It sounds to me that the Cd Changer in the trunk you have there is not the correct one , the early 93 models had a Becker 980 10 disc cd changer .
If yours doesn't look like the one pictured below , the 8 din pin plug harness wont fit into it ,as you probably have the later model in it , the previous owner probably just added any MB cd changer there to fill the hole to make it look good for the sale , if it has a white Mercedes-Benz writing on it ,it's the wrong one .
In the link I provided, you find connection diagrams etc .

BTW: I have and tried that Alpine cd changer like you mention ,still had problems , either one or the other plug didn't fit to the 140's harness ,either male plug VS Male or some other plug was wrong , I have the Alpine still here brand new in box from 6-7 years ago ,wasted money on that as I don't like cutting wires on harnesses.
I also purchased the Metra radio harness for w140's,didn't fit either , that one is for later models only. :thumbsup:

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1385821-rear-bose-amp-integration-adapter-w140.html

Like this one ,check the connections out , 8DIN pin on Cd Changers back are ,the upper one goes to the front radio & the slightly lower one leads to the Tuner in trunk , then you got the rectangular power connector next to the purple fuse ,the other 2 pin plug I forgot what that was for .:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MERCEDES-BE...L-980-AS-IS-/201411412594?hash=item2ee50e4272

Attachments

#6 ·
Great info Merc,, Correct 8 pin data connector is what is also on my receiver in the drivers side trunk, 1432 Becker , My 400sel had no CD player? no evidence of mount or cables molested at Amp or Receiver like it was never installed ?, my thread was to get a little help on what is out there for options , looks like 2 options (A) Ebay,, Beker 980... seen that link you posted and already have it bookmarked thank you ! (B) the Alpine CHMS620 being only 6 disk, with Becker Radio adapter for my 1432 with CD mode option, Did you have a Becker Radio adapter? ..Not going to start cutting wires on my car out of the question. Alpine Alternative CD-changer for the 1432

#8 · (Edited)
That is the Alpine Cd Changer I have here dumped , I even drove the car to Alpine service centers to connect that cd changer , they even had trouble connecting it .
If you buy any wires or adapters ,make sure you check if on your car they are female or male connectors and are of the correct shape ,Alpine uses rectangular connectors while MB has a round one , same goes for the Alpine ,check the connectors ,including the overlooked power connector .
I hate cutting wires ,avoid at all cost , however you can always splice into them without damage .:thumbsup:

Correct 8 pin data connector is what is also on my receiver in the drivers side trunk, [/url]
That is the 8DIN cable that connects the Cd Changer to the front radio ,all you need is another shorter 8 Din Pin cable that goes from the cd changer to the Tuner that should be on the wheel arch in the trunk ,left side , then it will work .:thumbsup:

#7 ·
If you have the left hand side trim in the trunk removed ,can you upload a picture of that & the wires you have there ? , that would help a lot .
I have a really good PDF file but I have never been able to upload it because the file size is 7.1MB which is to big for Benzworld allowances .I could send it to you to your e'mail if you want ,by Private Message .
You probably don't need it but I added a pic of the Metra adaptor ,maybe there is something you can pic up from .:thumbsup:

Attachments

#9 ·
Thanks,, looks like i will keep My 1432 works excellent , pulled the liner back today and took a closer look , it has a factory Black harness hanging out from the bottom of the Receive in the trunk looks like it is very small flat and around 10 small pins with a Cap on it , i removed the cap and it has a color code bar on connector, The 1432 Receiver in the trunk has 2 round Input ports , One is connected to the Main Head unit up front and other is Empty on rear of receiver , If for any reason someone has a reason for not using the (Becker radio adapter) link could you save me some aggravation and throw me a bone , I have several other vintage motorcycle projects going on ...Just want a friggin CD player LOL :grin calling Becker Monday

#11 · (Edited)
Your connection has been bypassed ,there is a cable missing , the one that goes from the tuner to the actual cd changer ,without that ,you wont get the Cd changer to work ,it might light up & makes mechanical noise inside the unit but there is no connection inbetween .
Follow the pics connectors below .The one I marked in red is a common cable that gets lost because it is a single about half a meter (or 1 meter )long cable ,yet expensive and rare to get .:thumbsup:

Attachments

#10 ·
You might only need the plug you see below , Becker might have them in stock if you lucky .
If you get any E for Error codes displaying on the radio ,solution is picture'd below .:thumbsup:

Just some more interesting pics for you for your radios operation ,just in case .

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
I have all of those here , Cd Changer Silverstone 980 with cartridges by two , remanufactured by Becker and connectors .
I have them boxed up since 07-07-2008 .:thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.