Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

"Makeover" - V140 S420

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Mercefreaken 
#1 ·
I finally got the opportunity to give my S420 some TLC. It didn´t exactly look like a wreck before, but there were some rust spots here and there, and after three previous paintjobs there were some differences in the color on the front wings and doors when looking at the car in direct sunlight. So while I´ve been cruising my old ´92 300 SL, the V140 has been undergoing a major treatment, and after almost three months away, I finally got it back last Thursday.
It´s still 040 black, but the clearcoat is the "scratch resistant" Nano-coating. They also gave the wheels a makeover, and I´m really pleased with the result. Haven´t had the chance to take any "after"-pictures yet, but I got a bunch of pictures from the work in progress.
Next project is to polish the car to get the finish I want, and treat it with Sonax NanoLack Versiegelung (really nice stuff that keeps the water pearling for more than a year).

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Another option was to sell it and buy another car, but it´s hard to find anything that comes close to the ride of a 140 - including the W220 and W221, IMO. So this way I´m buying myself a few more years with this car ;)

Hard to put a price on them over here, most are 300/320 gasoline or 350 Turbodiesels. With similar mileage, these are priced at around $12.000 for the early models (92-93).
My ´97 is the only facelift LWB 420 in Norway, and in the condition it is now, I suppose $18-20.000 should be in range. Compared to the pricetag when it was new (about $200.000), we´re talking peanuts :)

#9 ·
To be honest, I´m not sure ;) I just delivered the car to these guys in early summer, and did´t see it again until I picked it up last week - putting my trust in that they knew what they were doing :)

The weather is really bad here at the moment, so the after-pics will have to wait for a little while, but here are some more of work in progress :)

Attachments

#10 ·
Finally it stopped raining outside haha! Washed the car and took some pictures before I parked it in the garage and cranked up my good, old Flex polishing machine :) The size of these cars can make anyone fed up with that kind of work, but I decided to spread the workload over at least two days. Even in the light in the garage I could easily see swirls some places, so my next goal is to get that sorted out.

All in all, I´m very pleased with the paintjob, now that I´ve had the opportunity to study it from close range while washing the car.

Attachments

#14 · (Edited)
Wow Mercefreaken .
Beautifull Job .
It would be interesting to see the reaction or hear from the Pour bastard that just purchased a brand new W222 in your country and you roll up next to him , he probably things " Look at this freak of a Merc " & I just pay'd 400,000 dollars for my w222 ,lol and that 140 looks twice as good & better then mine (forget the unessesary electronic gadjets ).:thumbsup:

:goojob::goojob::goojob::goojob::goojob::goojob:

#16 ·
Had the car treated with lanolin oil today - the entire underside of the car, inside the doors, trunk lid, wheel arches etc... The car smells like wet sheep haha, but this stuff is supposedly excellent protection against rust.

Got the power lock on the front door sorted out, as it didn´t work after the paintjob. I also have an issue with both rear doors where the soft close is leaking air. Hopefully just the hoses that haven´t been attached properly. Will look into that later :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.