Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Need some advice - selling my w140

5K views 33 replies 14 participants last post by  jibsheet 
#1 ·
Well I have had my fun and I think it is time to move on. I have four cars in the driveway and I am not driving my w140 that often so now may be a good time to sell.

I am still on the fence about selling it - however I was wondering what you guys think is a reasonable price? (in US dollars to make it easy).

Don't worry I won't be offended by what you say.

It is a 1992 600 SEL - black with black interior and 113K miles on it.

Here is a little website I made for it - 1992-600-SEL

Cheers,

Eric

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
If I had a three car garage then keeping it and looking into getting classic auto insurance on it would definitely be the route I would take. But having the car take up space in the garage is a hassle and I could not bear to leave it outside in the driveway - out in the sun and elements.

But after doing some research I think I will start out at $5,000 USD and see if there is any interest. I could try and convince myself that it is worth a lot more - but the market is soft and I think some people get spooked by the V12.

Cheers,

Eric

#7 ·
Eric, if you must sell it - DON'T, DON'T, DON'T - but in a month or so I'd consider buying it from you and keeping it in Canada...

PM me for details if you are interested, but I can't do it immediately as I am securing something else just now.

But my advice remains the same - KEEP IT!!!

BTW - is it a canadian car or US car?

#8 ·
Eric,
Don't sell it!! Every car you look to purchase after you get-ride of it you are going to compare it to " the one that got away". Look at a new high end anything and compare. You have most everything in your 92!!!!! YOUR CAR IS A 1992 and other cars are just catching up! I would purchase it from you but like Rich I'm into something else right now. You will miss this car more then you know and talk about it more then people will want to here.

#12 ·
I would sell the SL instead , just imagine if you get hit by a small Meteorite , in the SL you be part of history within NASA but not if you had been sitting in the W140 ,think ahead Eric ,lol.
Yeah I know ,it's not easy to let go of a nice & attractive SL , you will only start missing the 140 when you don't have it anymore , that part comes in later ,I could only manage 11 month without one , you might do more due to the SL ,just keep an eye on the Sky ,lol:thumbsup:

Like the website you made for the 600 ,AWESOME . :wink

#17 ·
Eric ... I went through the same thing ...

... at the risk of being beaten with chairs, I drive an S500 most of the time, it gives me all the wonders of the W140, and the way I drive (pretty conservatively) the S600 is not as good a car to drive everyday. The M119 engine is a perfect fit in the bay, easier to fix (in terms of the bending over required), and quite frankly is more nimble at lower speeds (turning into driveways for example the suspension doesn't work as hard). You may find that if you have an S500 (I didn't see one listed on your username) that you would drive it all the time. This is what I found. The S600 just didn't get driven. This is from someone not interested in the collecting aspect however. I would completely agree with most of the other folks who are suggesting that you don't sell it if you want a quad cam V12 - the M120 engine is brilliant, and the big sedan carries it - in my opinion - the best. In terms of refinement the M120 is hard to beat and there is a certain pride I think in being able to properly fix one.

#22 · (Edited)
I am very happy to say that I am taking custody of Eric's beautiful 600SEL. :thumbsup:He's currently checking the car over before it does the road trip out west.
My current 600 is in need of the evaporator change and external cosmetics etc. which I have no time for lately. I am just chuffed that I will have a near perfect car to drive while I plod away on finishing the other. :eclipsee_steering:

#25 ·
I am very happy to say that I am taking custody of Eric's beautiful 600SEL. :thumbsup:
He's currently checking the car over before it does the road trip out west.
My current 600 is in need of the evaporator change and external cosmetics etc. which I have no time for lately. I am just chuffed that I will have a near perfect car to drive while I plod away on finishing the other car. :eclipsee_steering:
Congrats yes . I think that you purchased one of the if not the best 600 140 out there , reason being ,she has been maintained by a fastidious Benzworld member .
Lets us know how good she really goes .:thumbsup:

Congratulations to both parties! Good that the car is staying "in the family".
Well said Jayare .
We had a 600 here that was a Benzworld member (burgundy red metallic) ,since he sold his car no one has seen it ever again since or heard of , I however have contacted the new owner numerous times to come join us for a drive or just a get together between us 140'ers ,nothing , never showed up once except yeah yeah I be there blah blah , still waiting , I have given up on this one .
This guy cut its own legs by doing so because i'm just waiting for the day when I get a call from him needing parts , without knowledge where to get them cheaper or cheap , happy dealer because my doors (help) is shut .:thumbsup:

#26 · (Edited)
I hear that train a-coming...

I have old friends bringing the 600 cross country for me, making a road trip out of it after being tied to a hospital for the last three years battling with the C-word. Both them and the car are in good health and enjoying the road.

The car is running flawlessly Eric. The perfect ride for this little mission of medical freedom.

They are in Thunder Bay tonight and should be north west of Winnipeg tomorrow, where the pace will slow while enjoying the lake country. You have to stop and smell the roses now and again, or pick the blueberries as this case may be.

I am back out to the garage now to make room. Anybody need dirt cheap W124 Coupe parts before she is off to the scrap yard? :smile

#28 ·
I have old friends bringing the 600 cross country for me, making a road trip out of it after being tied to a hospital for the last three years battling with the C-word. Both them and the car are in good health and enjoying the road.

The car is running flawlessly Eric. The perfect ride for this little mission of medical freedom.

They are in Thunder Bay tonight and should be north west of Winnipeg tomorrow, where the pace will slow while enjoying the lake country. You have to stop and smell the roses now and again, or pick the blueberries as this case may be.

I am back out to the garage now to make room. Anybody need dirt cheap W124 Coupe parts before she is off to the scrap yard? :smile
Bet you cant wait for it to arrive ,lol , I know , I had that feeling when I bought mine 4500km's away .
How come you got someone to drive it towards you and not organizing a Car carrier ? , cost me $950 Au dollars to safely transport the car from one side of Australia to the other (4500km's ) .
Because I couldn't wait to see the car after 11 weeks after I paid for it ,the morning I estimated it's arrival ,I got up at 4:00am after a sleepless night overall ,off to the depo were she arrives ,I waited about 6 hours ,then there came a huge trailer around the corner , what you see below is what I saw , that made me forget the waiting time ,lol.:thumbsup:

Attachments

#27 ·
Pete - I am so glad it is going as planned - I only spent a few hours with your friend but he seems like such a great guy and I am sure he is treating the 600 right.

Based on my estimations, they have done 1,800 km's of a 3,000 km ride - and they are doing what that car loves to do - cruise down the highway.

I am so glad you came forward and we worked together to make this deal and trip possible.

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

Eric

#29 · (Edited)
Merc-S600... I was originally thinking that the wife and I would go collect it, visit there and along the way home and call it a vacation, but I am busy. As it happens, the people bringing the car are old friends we have been trying to get together with for a few years, that suddenly have the opportunity and time to do whatever they want. When I proposed a road trip to deliver the car, the answer was YES!

I am envious, but in a good way. I have already seen the country they are travelling through. They never have. This is so good on so many levels :)

#30 ·
Your Friend will be cursing you after he delivered the car to you and leave in a different car probably , if he has never driven a W140 regardless of which model , he surely will end up with the 140 virus ,MB bug , specially after the S600 experience if it was a pleasurable one .
I can already imagine way ahead , I suggest you keep the car alarm & house alarm activated for a while ,lol .:thumbsup:

#33 · (Edited)
The Black Pearl sails into safe harbour

My friends that delivered the car are from the largest colony in the old British West Indies. Guyana. Or, as dem people say... the only island in the West Indies surrounded on three sides by land.

Furthermore, these friend of mine are from the Rupununi Savannahs, a land of barefoot cowboys. (Note the footwear of the delivery crew of our new banana boat on the right hand side of the car)

The old ship has been re-christened the "Black Pearl" and is now in my garage for some survey and refit. We do name the right machines Striker. Not all are deserving. :)

We seek safe harbour.
Pete

(please note that the first mate with a gun to her head was initially intent on killing the captain, to the right with a smile on his face, for taking 3 hours to finish the last hour of a four day journey, lol)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.