Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Which car has an Inline-6 with the similar shape/distance exhaust ports as M120 V12?

2K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  JLCampbell 
#1 ·
Hey!
I'm wondering, which car has an Inline-6 with the same shape/distance/dimension of exhaust ports as the V12 M120?
Looking for headers replacement options.

In order to replace my actually stock short length headers on my s600, I saw on some pages that BMW's I-6 in some early generations E30 or E34 etc.. could have similar disposition of exhaust ports as the M120 V12, and therefore, the big pool of aftermarket exhaust ports could be available for use since I'm looking for a long tubes exhaust headers, if such headers would fit on the S600.

Anyone has an idea ?

Thank you!

#4 ·
I'm assuming for better/throatier exhaust sound from the M120.
But, you do realize that all inline six engines only have one exhaust side, right? Meaning you will get a passenger side header, but not a drivers side aftermarket; unless you are going to have a local shop do a mirror copy of the aftermarket M104 header... and if you are going to do that, you might as well have a full set of custom headers made.

#5 · (Edited)
I am fully aware that the M104 would be the perfect fit (and yes i'll be modifying the other side at a shop but at least the measures would be known )

But I am not aware of readily available M104 long tubes.. any of you could point me to some?
I saw may long tube BMW M20 and M30 manifolds available. I thought they would be a possible option.

The installation of long tubes would be for 2 reasons: 1- Better sound quality as I'm already running straight pipes (with cutouts), but the quality of the sound is missing.
2- Longer tubes would help at lower end torque

Thanks for your tips!

Reactions: Mark LaRochelle
#6 ·
I'm thinking of doing this as well on my M120. I am going to have a friend of mine fabricate a set of equal length headers for it soon. (Sooner than I though, now that I found the driver's side has an exhaust leak.)

I looking for the same results as you mentioned. There is a company in Japan that makes a set, but they are $8,000 (last time I checked)! for just the headers! Here is a shot of them:

I think I'll just have my buddy copy them for a lot less :D

He is suggesting replacing the dual Cats with a single cross-pipe race Cat, then removing the suitcase muffler in the middle and placing a set of electronic deletes there instead; then an Eisenmann silencer with oval tips to finish it off. He also wants to bring the e-delete's output back to the rear of the car to add two more tips on the passenger side (to balance the back end out with two pipes on each side, like more modern setups). I'm not to sure about this setup, and need to do some more research, but it really sounds tempting. And I bet it would sound awesome! My wife would hate it though... lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.