Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Key Chains, Spare keys, how do you carry your keys?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  z168 
#1 ·
I always carry all cars spare keys in addition to multiple other keys (i.e. house, gate, safe, safety deposit box, bike racks, etc).

Thought I would ask you guys if you use keys chains for your ignition keys. What key retainer or key case do you use? Looking for ideas as I hate having them jiggle in my pocket

#2 ·
Got one of these over the holidays for a gift. Now have four. Very simple, clean and industrial looking. I like the look. The company is called Key Smart and they say you can have up to 100 keys on one of these by adding expansion packs to the key holder. They come in about 10 different colors.

Attachments

#4 ·
LoL Joe,Yes I probably would to .
What I do for my keys I keep one in my pocket to open the car and another is always in the ignition ,just turn the key & start ,always ready .
You might say what if someone wants to take the car ,well if anyone would want to steal it ,he would have to brake the window & then the ignition anyway so this way ,I would have to replace only the easy replaced window only ,when I find the car (if) ,lol:thumbsup:

#5 ·
For the red black 500SL I do have one of them flat keys in my wallet. As a spare. The flip key is on its own. For the red SL500 one I do have a spare in the house and one together with PO Box Key in the pocket.

I do not even have a house key. I do have two Irish Wulfhounds. Nobody enters this place by free will when I am not there. Even people you pay for to do so, like the woman cleaning the place once a week.

Locking a convertible is anyways sort of senseless and since living in CA my cars are most of the year topless.

As for ignition keys - on the SL side there is a known problem with the ignition lock on older cars. A wearing problem. So having heavy bundles of keys, Swiss Army knives and LED lights MAY not be good to hang on your ignition lock.

Gate key (opener) stays in the cars. Bike rack, Shed, Boat, Bike el al stays at home until needed.

Get organized.

Or put some key safe in your car. And the car key on your body.

But do not run around with all your keys in your pocket.

The most heavy thing you need to carry around with you should not be your keys but your wallet.

Enjoy!

Mike

#6 ·
I drive my daily 80% of the time. I switch cars 2-3x a week so they get rotated.

I used to just bring them all in my office bag. But because the company I work in has several buildings about 1-2blocks from each other, I walk to my meetings during the day. My office building locks at 6pm and the carpark locks at 7pm. if I dont bring my keycard, badge, and suite key I wouldnt be able to get back in. And of course I stay late..

As for car spare keys, well...I have the wife and 2 kids driving. Ask me why I carry ALL my spare keys :givemebeer:

So on any given work day, I use 6 different keys. I carry about 20. I tried to go minimalist but there is a high propensity to lose the other 14 so I just decided to keep em all together. And yes I dont have ANY keys hanging off the ignition key of the car Im driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.