Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

S500 AC Compressor Replacement

5K views 3 replies 2 participants last post by  Jayare 
#1 ·
The shaft seal on my AC compressor is leaking big time, so it's time for a new (rebuilt) compressor.

I'm curious as to how nasty of a job this is based on those who have done it, along with any caveats regarding the job.

I have all the necessary equipment to recharge, so that's not an issue. I'm more concerned about how difficult a job the compressor R&R will be.

Thanks!

Dan

#3 ·
Relatively easy as in you don't need to move anything around or lift the engine up off the mounts?

I sure hope so.

Our recently sealed AC system has now decided that the weak point is the compressor shaft seal, so the compressor needs to be replaced.

While I'm asking, if anyone has a suggestion for a supplier I would enjoy hearing that, too. I've looked at all the usual suspects and they're all about the same, depending on whether you go with new (Denso) or a rebuild. I saw one of the local FLAPS has some house brand that is definitely a rebuilt Denso but significantly less expensive. Since the car will only be around a couple more years at best I'm wondering if I should go that route....

And Jim - I'm still planning on doing the springs - it got pushed back a couple of months after I saw what the youngster's spring tuition bill was going to be. :eek

Thanks,

Dan

#4 ·
No motor lifting Dan. I raised the nose of the car and removed the left front wheel to have better working space. Looking back, you'll need to remove the splash/dust shield, but I figured you had that figured out already. Let me know when you're ready to do this and I'll drive over.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.