Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

722.5 reverse problem

3K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Ari G 
#1 ·
Why would reverse lockup after engage,works fine for 2-4seconds then just like someone hits the brake and slight grinding noise right before it completely stops the car

B3-K2 and TQ converter lockup control it,this just happend after a rebuild...

#2 ·
I know that sound...

Ari,

What has happened is a few springs have come out from under the plate holding them, or the retaining ring has come undone.

If you remove your pan, you will find bits of round springs all smashed. I have one like that right now...

Basically, the fix is to put new springs, plate & retaining ring...

Martin

Attachments

#3 ·
Thanks Martin

That just confirms my findings but what is the reason for it to brake or snap out of place?
It was removed from a trans operating just fine

I made a trans from multiple junk trannys,that had other bad parts just used the good ones lol

#7 ·
The drum was just slightly hitting the B3 piston and i fixed that by using another drum and closing down the excessive clerance on it from factory from .060 to .020",reverse is great now no delay(i used new B3 clutches btw)

Now it still has the braking in reverse as another gear is engaged when in reverse,there is a crossleak somewhere else probably in the valve body,anyone had anything similar like this,i think there is a valve missing in the valvebody or transmission case..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.