Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

What to do with this 1997 S320L??? Ideas?

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Jayare 
#1 ·
So I currently have a W140 lying around, has done about 430,000km paint work is faded in areas, interior is in an alright condition.

I was thinking of chopping the roof off her for the summer and that can be her last lease of life. (cant find any pics of any before floating in the google search)

1997 S320L
Grey interior
Blue exterior
430,000km roughly

Anyone have any better ideas?

#5 ·
Well I guess its not just the paint

-has a miss fire im assuming another coil as I had to replace on a few years ago.
-has a oil leak assuming from the lower pan?
-also leaking water not sure where as replaced the hoses and radiator a few years ago also.

Think ill just let her sit around some more :|

#9 ·
If you cut the roof the chassis will literally implode. Without the roof in place the body has no integrity relative to the front and back, and would fold up the minute you cut it off.

Doors would not open, it would be grossly unstable to drive, etc., etc.

While it's not visible, cars that are designed as cabriolets or converted have large structural members built into the chassis to compensate for the lack of a roof and oilers that provide structural integrity.

Fix it up and drive it another 400000 km. Nothing you have described warrants total destruction - it's all fixable.

Dan

#11 ·
Hi guys,

The Blue W140 is one ive owned for 4 years or so now was pretty rough when i brought it from auction but was so cheap it was worth the buy.

The smokey grey is my fathers that he brought in 1999ish from the dealer as you can see its been neglected, i have a new front fender for it. But this has had a replacement motor put in it which i believe the mechanic did a dodgy deal and took some parts off it for his W140 as the alternator is gone or something due to a new battery not holding charge.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.