Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Turn signal switch pinout needed

1K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  Silver Benz 
#1 ·
Hi all, curios if anyone would happen to have the pinout wire designation for the connector at the turn signal switch wire? My high beams don't operate when you pull the stalk up "flask to pass" and I want to rule out the switch and check for voltage.

Thanks!

#2 ·
Chris ,Not that I know which is which but what I know for sure Is that , even if you get them to work ,the high beam on the early 140's is as if it is not there anyway ,there is no difference if you drive with highbeam on or of ..What you should do is install a HID 6K lowbeam light kit ,that will really make a difference & you would never even need the need for the highbeam ever & I mean EVER .
They are extremely easy to install .:thumbsup:

All you need to do is check which bulb size is on your low beam H? as I forgot .
HID 6K | eBay

#3 ·
Hey Chris, thanks for the insight on those HID kits...I was a little curious about them since I saw the simplicity of them on a car repair show on TV. I was amazed the little package and everything included; I mean they are even low cost from that Ebay link you sent.
I wanted to repair the problem, I guess I just want everything to work on the car if I can help it. I agree the lighting is a little useless but again, I think I was just going for the repair.
Although....I am curious about the kit. Could you tell me...

Is the blue or bright white more effective?
Are the quality of the kits decent, will they last?
Are there any additional headlight assembly aiming requirements with this style of light?

I am guessing you have these; if anyone else cares to chime in please do!

Chris

#4 · (Edited)
The 6000K HID'S are the once you want ,any higher then that it starts to get blue then purple any lower then they go yellow like older style lights ,the light is the same like a late model W221's headlight ,once you installed them you might need to aim them a touch lower not to blind any oncoming traffic ,you also have the self dipping headlights for that when you have a weight in the trunk ,you know the little adjustment wheel next to the headlight switch .
I installed these into the low beam & fog lights section of the headlight ,installing the 6000K's into the Foglight section and when turning them on ,illuminates all the edge of the road and under in front ahead of you ,awesome look .
On my current S600 they are also with the high beam section but it takes to long for them to heat up ,about 6/7 seconds ,that is to long before you can see the full potential ,but once activated they are ok .
I know you like the car 100% but I recommend to get these 1st then you can slowly fix the stalk or what ever it is that is broken ,you wont even need high beam at all anymore like I mentioned already lol ,I wouldn't hesitate a second to do so since I know what these HID lights are capable of & I only have the 35 watts version in ,love to see what the 55 watt can show ,how far they will light up into the dark ahead of you or illuminate the surrounding area ,I'm tempted to get a 100 vat version for the high beam only .
Don't waste any money on thinking if you just get a Xenon bulb or a stronger like 100vatt globes ,they don't do nothing ,I purchased on special order globes that cost $145 each , you know where they are now , dumped somewhere in the garage as they as well didn't do anything to improve the early version w140's headlight vision , you can see more with a torch then a w140's headlight ,specially 92/93 maybe even 94 models .:thumbsup::nerd

#5 ·
Haha, I don't need to be buying more crappy parts just to throw in the trash so I will for sure not go the route with the bulbs! I will buy a kit of the HID's and see how they turn out, thanks for the great explanations here. All I have to do is go find out the size/style of the bulb and I think I will look for the best feedback on ebay and go with that set.
The 35 Watt versions sound like the winner!

One last thing, this adjustment wheel for the headlight...is that under the hood under one of the flaps or did you mean at the headlight on/off switch???? If so, I don't have that!

Chris

#6 ·
One last thing, this adjustment wheel for the headlight...is that under the hood under one of the flaps or did you mean at the headlight on/off switch???? If so, I don't have that!

Chris
These were deleted in US spec models.

He's referring to a headlight beam adjustment that is standard for Euro spec headlights. It's a vertical dial located next to the headlight switch that has sever detents that allow you to adjust the headlight "dip" to compensate for loads in the car.

If the car is loaded, especially with passengers and luggage in the rear, the rear of the car will go down slightly, causing the headlights to pitch up. The adjuster allows the driver to point the headlights "down" so to speak so they won't blind oncoming drivers.

Dan

#7 ·
Learn something here just about every time I log on! That's pretty interesting Dan, appreciate the explanation. I really had no clue that there was even a feature for this...I do get a kick out of the variations for different car markets around the world. The amount of changes and design options to sell vehicles really amazes me from something like this compared to the right hand drive.

If I get the HID's I will have to do the adjustment against the wall method....

Chris

#8 ·
Chris,

This is a feature that has been around for years.

Whenever I retrofitted Euro headlights to my earlier MBs, I always got the new escutcheon for the headlight switch panel and the adjusting switch.

As far back as W123 and W126 models had "levelers" in the headlight assemblies that were vacuum powered. It was as simple as running a vacuum line to each headlight and back to a tee that went through the firewall and ultimately to the adjusting switch. Tap an existing vacuum source under the dash to feed the switch, and you had headlight leveling.

Understand that MBs are also sold outside of the US with trailer hitches, too. Definitely something that would require you to adjust your headlights....

Dan

#9 ·
Haha, yeah a factory hitch on a fancy car like the MB would really be a surprise to see here. The headlight auto adjustment would make sense in that case for sure.
Isn't there some option on the US cars that have an automatic electric adjustment or am I just totally off there...?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.