Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Chrome rings for dash

4K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  anziani 
#1 ·
Can anyone recommend some decent chrome rings for the dashboard gauges? I think it would really add some depth to the cluster on the 500....

Chris

#6 ·
Hey Smokie! Thanks for the picture man...that's exactly what I am looking to do. It really does stand out nice!
I found some guy/company out of the UK and they have some pretty decent feedback. For about $50.00 it looks like I can get some nice rings.

Do those things on you're set just push in or is there a glue/double sided tape?

Chris

#8 · (Edited)
The once you see in my picture below are these once >>> Mercedes Benz W140 Chrome Gauge Cluster Dashboard Rings Dials R129 91 99 | eBay <<< , the burlwood fascia is this one if you also like that >>>> Free Shipping Burlwood Dash Trim FOR Mercedes Benz 1991 1999 W140 S Class | eBay <<<< .
Don't waste to much money on these because they are all the same ,ABS plastic ,some sellers just like to make a quick extra buck out of them by not mentioning the abs plastic description .:thumbsup:

Additional Chrome Ring Threat
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w140-s-class/1622432-chrome-trim-140-bling.html

Attachments

#12 ·
Not to drag this out but here are a couple things to consider: This project is a must. It compliments the ignition key chrome ring and the accent chrome strips on the air vents. No reflection issues with night lighting. A nice subtle touch that should have been factory. Just things to help if you use metal rings.

Note the attached photos.

1) I used aluminum trim rings, no plastic, from The Tuning Shop in the UK. Didn't want plastic but don't think anyone can tell once installed.

2) Use tooth picks to hold the locking plastic snaps open. Takes about 20 seconds and avoid the struggle shown in the vid.

3) Note: I pre rolled the lips on the aluminum rings so they held in place opposed to the instructions then rolled the edge again one in place. The large one was too small in my opinion and caused lots of frustration (something plastic ones appear not to). But that was my first one and I got efficient by the last ring (like any project). I used a round pin found in a tool to install vinyl siding.

4) Other diy post did not tell me about the speaker cover screw that must be removed first if you need to push the cluster from behind (if stuck). The cover is at the top of the speaker and pops off to expose the screw. Notice I had to fix the broken locater hole. Also my dash was stuck like no ones business. I almost gave up before I started.

5) Use spray foam and micro fiber cloth to clean the plastic window. Not a paper towel. It will scratch.

Attachments

#14 ·
I had ordered a set of rings but mine are the "glue in" type. Now that I've seen the videos I want to change to "snap ins". Can someone aim me to the web page that sold them? I might add that I'm also going to install the burlwood overlay as shown in the Aussie pic.
Thanks,
Anziani

#15 ·
I like the rings, but if I may, my preference is no rings.

Maybe I am too much of an original spec type of guy...?

Were they ever O.E.? Perhaps they were...

Mind you, I'll go with the illuminated door sills...!

#16 ·
I don't mind forwarding on a link to give these guys business; they where cool with me:
Leather gear gaiter, shift boot items in THE TUNING-SHOP store on eBay!

Further search under their ebay store and you will find what you need Anziani.

Rch.org...I have a lot of the same mindset as you with the way the car came from the factory. There are few 'enhancements' I care to do to my cars but for some reason I really like the rings. I don't think it was ever a factory thing on the pre-2000's cars but I see new models that have this. Probably where the idea came from for these repops.
I bet you're new 600 would like a set!

Chris

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.