Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Help: 1996 S320 acceleration issue

4K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  act1292 
#1 ·
Hi,
Need help from experts.
From last few days I am facing low acceleration issue. Car picks up with full power but when it kicks down while running, engine response is a bit late and engine starts missing and doesn't show full power.
Got checked spark plugs, coils, throttle body and fuel filter. They all are fine.
Can anyone help me on this issue?

Regards,

#8 ·
Guys, another plug adapter lead came out faulty and replaced it. Now car is perfect in idle position but now another new issue raised....ahhh I'm lovin it, while running when I press throttle car take 2-3 seconds to respond, it seems car is stalling before it comes up to response.

Any help?

#9 ·
Hi.
Three years ago, I had the same problem w my 96 s320. It usually misfires if the acceleration is too rapid; chk engine warning light turns on, engine shakes, misfire report.

Then I changed the spark plugs to a type different from what was in the engine. Acceleration issues went away.

However, lately, the same issues came back. I guess I need to have the plugs replaced again.

The 96 s320 seemed to have the same issue among many owners; possible causes discussed ranged from deteriorating "organic" wire insulation, maf, air and vacumn valves, o2 sensors.

T2P
San Diego, CA

#10 ·
If the misfire code keeps coming back then more than likely it is due to a bad coil pack and/or spark plug connectors. I have read that there are issues with the connector that sits just below the coil pack that goes bad due to heat.

My '96 S320 went through the same process. Misfire upon acceleration followed by misfire engine code. Replaced the spark plugs and it temporarily went away. Replaced coil packs and haven't had a problem in two years.

To usmanbari: Are you getting an engine code on this?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.