Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Ferrari 355 vs C140

6K views 31 replies 11 participants last post by  ch.1953 
#1 ·
Well, it had to be done: I test drove an immaculate 355. Stunning to look at.

But, as much as I liked it the C140 is a better car.

(i) My GF went for a drive in the 355 too, and we both agreed it did not feel as quick as the C140. I know that makes absolutely no sense, but maybe the 355's compression was out... In second gear the C140 from 50 to 80mph flies.

(ii) Yes the 355 sounds amazing, but not on long drives...

(iii) Steering, sorry guys the chassis and steering of the 355 is way better.

As usual, 140 steering is its weak point...

#3 ·
Sure, I have them...

So Rich isn't really the "Driver" in the relationship if you know what I mean :wink, sorry Rich....so here's his 'handsome' woman behind the wheel (hey it's okay...we're accepting here on BW)

unfortunately she let Rich behind the wheel and well old Rich got a lil premature with his excitement behind the wheel ..

#5 ·
Funny you say that...

As we drove up there, there was a black convertible 355 crashed, same as the car I was going to drive...

So I phoned the guy and mercifully it was not his...

But no my GF did not drive it, she was only driven in it.

As for the premature stuff, that was quite funny... :)

#6 ·
You are comparing two completely different cars, they do not compete with each other. The only things they have in common is 4 wheels and 2 doors.

The two cars come at the 2 door coupe at opposite ends of the spectrum. You'd never do a track day in a C140. You'd never cross a continent in a 355.

#8 ·
You'd never cross a continent in a 355.
Would you like to bet on that??? :wink :devil

I drove half way across a continent in December of 1992 on a Suzuki GSX750

Only 2 wheel, no doors.

And personally folks, no offence to anyone, I am comparing C140's vs. Ferraris.

My money, my choices - and I think the F612 and 456 are directly comparable. But I'd love the FF

#7 ·
lol, careful on the road out there, Rich!

I will add this little anecdote: The F355 and the C140 are not the same kind of cars. The 355 is a driver-oriented sports car, while the C140 is a luxury grand tourer... Each will have their positives and negatives, but neither is a definitive replacement for the other. Different cars with different strong points.

EDIT: Literally just saw Joe's post above me right now, it seems we both share the same point of view!

#10 ·
Good job buddy, glad it worked out...

Not mad at all, just love F's and inspired by a couple on their honeymoon driving a red 328 GTB with bikes on the roof. They were staying in camp sites (I kid you not) and pledged to spend a year honeymoon driving around America and Canada with no time ever in Interstates or hotels - in a red Ferrari.

Personally, I think nero or tour de france bleu in a 2 + 2 Ferrari would be better, but then I have dogs and a GF... :x

#14 ·
Bet accepted for 458, TR, 360, Enzo, La Ferrari, F40, F50, 348 and 355. 599, 612 and FF are GT cars, you would buy them to cross a continent :). But, driving for a few hours then stopping for a rest or some sight seeing does not count, that's a holiday, you could do that on a tractor or pushbike and some people actually do. You need to cross the continent as the main purpose of the voyage, stopping only to sleep. That was the point of my previous post, something you just wouldn't do in a 355 when in a C140 it's a realistic option.

Anyway, if you do buy any Ferrari and document a good 2 or 3 thousand miles in 4 days or less, $50 is all yours, would be awesome to see.

#15 · (Edited)
Well, having driven the 355 I loved the feel of a real car and the noise was ok, but the longtitudinal placement of the engine made it have no luggage space. The 328 / 308 is better. So all bets aside what I am looking for is if there is a car of theirs that I can use on my super long distance work commutes (e.g. FL to Seattle) as a consummate GT. The 355 was always very unlikely to be able to do that, but when I first test drove one years ago it drove so well I was amazed... But sadly now, it would not budge me from a c140 and especially a C140 M120.

As for the other contenders, TR, 612, 456 but especially FF would be the most likely ones. For as you say they are GT cars... !!! :wink

I did test dive the new Maserati QP, but ironically that was worse than the 355 for noise, and also TOO quick. You could not enjoy the car, to my mind, as one squeeze of the car throttle and it simply flew, almost, away from you. We then test drove the new S class and that car's throttle response was way more linear and enjoyable... But to my mind the car felt light and plasticky after a W140, OR after the Maserati QP which seemed to have much better interior build quality than the new S.

Lastly, on the 355, with the smaller wheels and higher profile rubber, the ride was great...

#16 ·
Honestly Rich, I know you like Ferrari but if you want a REAL enjoyable car, nothing comes close to the Lamborghini Aventador. I've driven a few Ferrari cars in my life and earlier this year I had an opportunity to drive the LAMBO... I still replay the event in my head daily... was out of this world.

#17 · (Edited)
It is interesting you mention this, as I was playing with that idea myself...

But as I am searching for a manual GT car with better steering than the C140's, I am not sure that Lambo makes a GT car?

Have you driven the FF yet? I haven't, but it looks, smells and everything else amazing. Plus a hatch!!! :laugh

Attachments

#18 ·
No sir, never driven the FF… I have driven the F110 Testarossa, F430, 456M and a 612 scaglietti (same owner), I’ve also driven an early 80’s model, I don’t remember what it was called but It was not that nice to drive nor was it very pretty. My favorite driving one was the 430 and I would say the prettiest, to me, was the Testarossa.

#23 ·
C140 vs F355

Glad to see you had a blast driving it! They are very fun little cars. Slow by todays standard but the looks, handling, lines and the sound are the strong points. Lots of unwanted attention you get in this can be annoying too. Maybe get one as a weekend toy and keep your C140 as a daily driver? Personally I have never driven mine on long trips. No reason too and do not want too. I use it at maybe 25 miles at a time or so. Take it to a meet, bar, beach, marina or even just a drive to nowhere. While I have never owned a 140 I have driven them and they are so very different then a F355 or any F Car.

#25 · (Edited)
Don't forget one thing Richard ,when you do cross the continent with a Ferrari keep in mind the skinny seats in them & take into consideration the Italian build quality,by the time you get to the destination ,you will be exhausted ,not only that but it might take a while before your hearing adjusts to the normal environment again .
Every year when I drive aprox a 1000km's overnight ( Depart aprox 6 pm -arrive aprox 5am) ,I never feel I need to stop for a rest except petrol & then go again ,I don't think you be able to do that with a Ferrari ,the vibrations of the cheap interior & sports suspension would get to you .
Ferraris are just show off cars /track cars ,a day out here and a weekend drive there .I don't take much luggage with me as I buy it all new at the holiday resorts etc but for the majority of people there is not even enough of that in the Ferrari .
For the exception of the S600's w140 (Cl or Sedan) is an everyday car ,long distance cruiser in comfort ,arrive at your destination fresh & as if you just left home ,this is true .
Didn't I read somewhere that a Ferrari engine needs to be serviced every 10000km's or so .

And this message comes from a long time Ferrari enthusiast / admirer - fanatic & collector .
I own a huge collection of Ferrari memorabilia & used to be a member at the Sydney nsw Ferrari club as well , but since the W140 came along it's all slowly slipping/fading away as it is simple the better car ,it actually makes itself usefull .:thumbsup: :wink

As you probably know already but in case you don't know ,in the pic below why does the owner of all those cars still prefer to drive his S600 W140 .!!

Attachments

#26 · (Edited)
C140 vs F355

I agree with everything you stated except for cheap interior. I have Carbon Fiber all over. Leather all around and stitching that is solid in the assembly department. Carpeting is thick and soft as well. I have never been in a Ferrari with a cheap interior. Of course it is not to the level of say a CL or S Class.. Maybe the old 308 or something was bad? However more modern Ferrari's nothing cheap about them. The F355 has a solid design inside and lots of open space as where many cars have many pieces that make up the interior making it more susceptible to rattles.

As far as the driving goes it is loud and sounds amazing, small and rides firm. It is a drivers car with a gated gear box. It is not a luxury car and people forget that when think Ferrari. It is not like a Mercedes where you can drive for hours and feel comfortable. It is a weekend, track car show car. Drive it say 30 miles a week then take it back into the garage. Ferrari's that make better long distance drivers are the 456,550,575,599 and 612. Also known as Grand Tourer cars. They are more practical and suitable for more of a daily driving experience.

As far as F355 service when we bought ours Ferrari of Tampa said every 5 years is a major service. Engine out, ect,ect costing $5,800 at a dealer. A good shop here in Sarasota does it for much less. Oil changes and fluids all depend on amount of driving or time. Whatever comes first.
Clutch replacement is around $1,000. It will last a long time if you know how to drive stick. If you are like my girlfriend and cannot drive to save her life then factor in much more spent on upkeep.

Reactions: ch.1953
#31 ·
Merc-S600

Great videos you posted there. The third one I really enjoyed watching and I am happy to see fellow FCar people driving them. A friend of mine and actually former member on this site (Maybach owner) down here in Florida has a Enzo. I never drove it or went for a ride inside but I did see it and sat in it. It is out of this world and way beyond my affordability. I do like the Ferrari Approved program. However, my F355 was too old being a 99 to qualify for such a program. So far in 2 years of ownership it has been a joy to own and drive. I think when the time comes we would do another Ferrari or even a Lamborghini. For now the old F355 will do.

Reactions: Merc-S600
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.