Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

18" MB wheel weights and experience with pics

4K views 15 replies 2 participants last post by  Joflewbyu2 
#1 · (Edited)
Hope this is helpful to others to save them trial and error. I have a 94 S420 with OEM 16" wheels (8 hole) and Michelin Tires. Wheel and tire combo weighed in at 50 lbs. Purchased 19" S550 staggered wheels and Conti tires (19"x8.5" with 255/40 & 19"x9.5" with 275/40 tires. They weighed in at 58 lbs and 65 lbs respectively. The car's ride sufferred along with the acceleration. Sold that set and purchase AMG 18"x8.5" 44mm offset wheels. Thought sticking to 18" would save some weight. Wrong, each AMG wheel (no tires) weighed in at 35 lbs. Check all 4 several times in disbelief but 35 lbs was consistent. Needless to say, I got rid of them. Loved the look but couldn't get over the weight.

Fast forward to today. Put on my 5 spoke S550 18"x8.5" wheels (25.0 lbs each) and 255/45/18 tires (28 lbs) for a combo weight of 53 lbs. Each mounting and balance took minimal weight and I torque each lug after cleaning lug nut threads and placed antisieze on rear hubs. Car rides great and I believe looks great too showing off my recently upgraded drilled and slotted R1Concepts Premium rotors. Finally happy.

BTW, the car is lowered 35mm with RennTech (Apex) springs. Pics below.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.