Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Reprogramming Windows on S420

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  WhatYOuKnow 
#1 ·
So the battery had to be disconnected and lets say one do not have the owners manual for the steps?

When reconnecting battery, the window auto feature works going down, but it takes a bunch of button pushes to get it to go up. If the button is pushed half way and it works fine, that is usually an indicator that the window mechanisms are fine and the windows need reprogramming or rather resynchronizing after disconnecting the battery.

This is how I did it. KEYWORDS THERE---This is how I did it. Which may or not be the "official" MBZ directions or how other Benzes work. I do not know how the other Benzes respond to the following thing I did, I do not know or own all the other Benzes in the world. And once more just in case it was missed the first two times, which seems to sometimes happen-

*****THIS IS HOW I DID IT.***** So no point in arguing about "what the book said". It may have said that but this is worked for me.

This may help if they had trouble with the official directions or simply do not know how to do it.

Radio codes, if one do not have them written down, contact the dealer with VIN number on hand and they usually able to look it up and tell you. Assuming that it's a stock radio that came with the car.

Step one- Roll window down until end of travel, press and hold button for 5 seconds, release.

Step two- Press the button half way or before auto rollup feature is activated, and roll the window all the way up, hold completely down for 5 seconds.

Step three repeat for other windows.

Note- sometimes the first sync attempt gets it, the auto feature, to work half way and then it stops. Just repeat the steps and it should work fully of course ensuring there is nothing binding or obstruction causing the auto stop feature to function.

And that took care of that.

Didn't have to worry about radio code because I have aftermarket.

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine works fine with all four windows closed, I just hold down the button to close (the already closed windows) for a few seconds, on all four windows, and then the auto open/close feature works again. I don't even need to open and close the windows to re-sync them. Just be sure when you are closing, you only press the button enough to power the window, not pressing too hard where it clicks. The clicking part activates the auto open/close mechanism.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.