Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Emergency Brake Handle broken

4K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  MAVA 
#1 ·
I have this habit of putting the e-brake on every single time I park the car, and I push it down pretty far, so the tension of the handle is pretty strong every time I pull the handle. Two weeks ago, the handle started cracking, and since then, it's just gotten worse. It is about 3/4 cracked, and now I don't use the parking brake anymore, because I am afraid I will break the handle. I don't like not using the e-brake because the car rolls back a lot when I just leave it in park and I don't like that. Any way I can fix it?? (without ghetto-rigging duct tape? lol)

#2 ·
Once it's cracked it's pretty much gone. You should be able to get the parts easily enough. Removing it isn't hard, a few screws and it comes out. Hardest part was getting the cable back into the eyelet, I removed the air vent to get my hand at the correct angle.

How were you releasing it? Just pulling the handle hard and having the brake release with a loud noise? It's much more elegant, and easier on the handle, to apply pressure to the pedal and push it in slightly, just before it clicks, and then pull the handle. Ease off with the foot and the pedal comes up silently.

#3 · (Edited)
My '94 S500 cpe's EB busted about 7yrs ago. Same as yours. I bought the "replacement" but it doesn't fit! BION, they don't make a replacement for the '94 cpe. Ordered one (dealer only part) and got one that's for a sedan. Mercedes investigated and found that is the only one they make for '94 MBs.

So I HAD to fix it with . . . . JB Weld . . . still works today . . .

Since then I do follow kkarson's procedure; "It's much more elegant, and easier on the handle, to apply pressure to the pedal and push it in slightly, just before it clicks, and then pull the handle release. Ease off with the foot and the pedal comes up silently."

Mine originally broke when it was allowed to snap out.

#4 ·
So I fixed it with . . . . JB Weld . . . still works today . . .

Since then I do follow kkarson's procedure; "It's much more elegant, and easier on the handle, to apply pressure to the pedal and push it in slightly, just before it clicks, and then pull the handle. Ease off with the foot and the pedal comes up silentl"
That's my suggestion as well, particularly if it hasn't broken all the way through, JB Weld is a terrific idea. Lightly sand the area, force some in the crack, then build it up a bit around the weak area.

The release process is also a good idea, I passed that to my GF (she's in a 215) a long while ago because she mentioned it was sometimes difficult to release her parking brake.

Good luck.

Reactions: JimF37
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.