Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

S320 MPG

8K views 25 replies 13 participants last post by  nathanD.rector 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. Does anyone know what the mpg of the s320 is? I heard its 17-23mpg. I am thinking about a commuter car because I might work about 100miles away and the w140 is smooth car which I prefer over any sporty car. I averaged about 26-27mpg with my s500 when I was driving with low rpm (55-65mph) no traffic, no incline (maybe a little incline) and if my v8 does that good should a i6 do better? btw if you guys are wondering how I calculated the mpg was I only had 10gallons of 91 octane gas in the tank. and I drove 200miles(more like 195.6miles) I had over 2 gallons of gas in the tank(I dumped the remaining gas out in 5gal container it was a little more then half way filled). This was a full trip to work (both way mileage), you guys might ask why I didn't fill up over there before heading out, well simply put I don't trust the gas in that area because I was told gas stations put 89 as 91 and mark up the octanes (2 family owned gas stations in the area and all coworkers said bad stories about both locations).

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE

#2 ·
It, the S320, does a little better. Not as much as some think though because the W140 is a heavy car, very heavy car that seemed more for a v8 than inline 6 which is adequate to move it decently.

And yeah, some places do that and sometimes a person tells by the car run differently. And it's not always in their head. Different brands different quality or else what would be the point of different brands if it all was the same? Chevron is pretty good, but they have delivery problems with the fuels here and since 3 years ago, they haven't sold gas. Many other places use the gas from the local refinery, which is decent. Other places use dirt gas. Gas that is barely passable as gas and probably messing up a lot of people's cars.

And here especially and maybe in other border cities, sometimes the gas come from some off brand bootleg non-quality control refinery from Mexico but charging premium prices.

Sometimes it's best to find a station where you fillup, the car run rights and feels right, and stic kwith it. If after filling up and the car is acting different, it might be a mere coincidence but maybe not because the car doesn't know brands. All it know is fuel and how it burns. If it doesn't burn right, it wont run right. And it's even less of a coincidence if one fill up with one gas and run perfect fill up with suspect and it runs not good then go back to prior brand and it runs fine again. More than likely it's the gas and not some mental imagination. Usually people that pass off too much stuff as imagination miss a lot of tell signs that something is wrong and cant take car of their car properly and do not catch little easy to repair stuff before it becomes a major repair. Some cheap A to B and torture device cars that cant be driven beyond a short corner store trip probably can run on low quality moonshine with not a blip. Do that in a Mercedes, ya asking for trouble.

Sometimes a gas station even though they are not supposed to, run out of premium or in between deliveries and instead of posting signs they simply have the truck fill up all the tanks with regular so they wont lose business and thus in those cases whether one press he 87, 89 or 91 button they are getting the same fuel.

#3 ·
That is why i am a regular at one shell station. I use to go to a mobil station 2 years back but the owner changed and so did the quality. I remember filling unlimited oil (chevron owned gas station) my w140 stalled out every 5minutes (took off fuel filter and let the fuel drain out replaced filter and filled shell and all was great). Surprisingly my mazda runs better on crappy gas (worn out piston rings and valve stems).

I use to hate shell but the past 2-3years its my favorite brand(maybe because the worker there knows me well since he was my neighbor for 15+years he also tells me not to fill up certain times, something about low fuel in tank and might have dirt. Also has told me to fill up when cold so i dont pay for vapor.

I was thinking about getting a w140 99 s320 w/ 130,000miles from the original owner for about $4000. If it did have better mpg. I guess its my torque which helps w/ mpg.

#4 ·
The thing I HATE about the 140 is its relationship with gas stations... People say good things about the diesel (MPG wise at least) but I think you just have to pay to play with the 140.... either in gas or initial cost... I have an 07 Camry that gets good gas mileage but I don't remember the last time I drove it... I also have an 06 Corolla (dead batt) sitting in my driveway... so I guess that should tell you something.

Alot of times people consider the MPH on a car and nothing else... but consider this... recently, a friends mom hit the center divide in a 06 corolla and broke her wrist... the car is totaled... doubt very much that would of happened with the 140... The broken wrist at least... well who cares about the car in that situation..

I would consider the premium on the cost of gas vs. a 45mpg car as the difference between possible disability and full health... I think its a better perspective.

I quit driving the toyotas because I see way too many people concerned with their eye liner whilst crossing a bridge during my commute rather than actually driving and with the 140... I say "bring it bitch!"... Also consider that the more you drive the higher the risk of being in an accident and so you may find that the 140 is the best overall option.

#5 ·
I'm a new with the S320...:)..

Today I fill her up for the first time...

I get an averaged of 25 MPG.... I don't know if this is good or bad....:confused:

I do a lot of city driving including highway drive with LA stop & go traffic...:mad:...

Hope this help..:eek:..

#7 ·
Please post a link to your modifications..:).. I want to read more about it....:thumbsup:..

#15 ·
In town I get 15-17 and 21-22 on the road with the S500. I've heard of several S320 owners getting 26-28 on the open road. So much depends on the tune of the car and the way your right foot relates to the loud peddle. Also, to debunk a myth... the gas pump doesn't meter "vapor" it meters liquid. Period

#16 ·
I keep very detailed records, and over a year's time using a Tier 1 gasoline (Shell) I average 18.2 in my 95 S500 coupe. I drive almost exactly 50-50 mixed city and highway, always drive the speed limit, and drive with a very light foot. The one killer is that I live in Florida, so AC is on a good part of the year. I figure that costs me 0.5/1.0 mpg.

I have put a couple of tanks through it on 100% highway when I picked it up in NC and averaged around 21-22 mpg for that trip.

I would be very interested to see the documentation for anyone who claims to average in the mid 2os with these cars.

Dan

#17 ·
How would some one document this? Im certain, Ive done mid 20s on my way to LA in spring of this last year (2013) in my 1997 s500. 336 miles with MPG average about 25.5... I live in California and I (alone) did it 4am to 10am on hywy 5. Hayward CA to Rosamond CA. I kept it cruise control 75 MPG for bout 2/3rds of the way. 65-70 after that.

#18 · (Edited)
I average about 21 mpg in mine. I might do a little more now with the new plugs as they were worn and the seat-of-your-pants feel is noticeable with the new plugs. I suspect on a prolonged highway trip, I'd get 25ish.

Next time I fill up, I'll track exactly how many miles I get per quarter tank.

#23 ·
Heavy right foot.....:D....

btw I like your avatar picture....:thumbsup:

#25 ·
having trouble with mileage.I have a newer engine,driving this engine slow.The other engine got 28.5 mpg on the hiway.this motor consumed 20 gals,with only 389 miles.
All new stuff,MAF,Fuel Filter,Fuel Pump,Plugs,wires,Coils,oxygen sensor,pedal sensor.Does smell like fuel driving,and odor from fuel regulator,does have new crank sensor.Car also won't go past 97 mph.Feels like its running out of fuel at 4500 rpms.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.